Nissan Cube . Good,bad,

beetle1234, May 21, 8:40am
My sis is looking at a Nissan Cube.I don,t know what year,milage etc at the mo. Are they anygood? Now my sis just jumps in a car turn,s the key an off she goe,s(she is a blonde). I will service it for her but I would like to know are they good,bad or likewise? Any imput would be mucho appreciated. and no I don,t know what colour it is but if it is a boring colour then abit of titivation will be done. thank in advance. AJ

cabrio1, May 21, 8:49am
I know a blonde who bought one, loves it. Can't comment on servicing etc but Nissan should be straightforward enough.
Apparently a bit noisy on motorways though, probably due to the brick like aerodynamics.
She thinks it's awesome, bench seat in the front, guess everyone's tastes are different!

intrade, May 21, 8:51am
you can go by year 2005 onwards most are bad and worse when things go wrong without special electronic diagnostic training and oem capapble tools

tamarillo, May 21, 9:34am
Well it's just standard Nissan stuff underneath the weird body, sold worldwide not just jap market. If you're okay with normal Nissan mechanicals as used in many other cars, it'll be fine.
As you say it is her choice so not up to us to like it!

franc123, May 21, 11:07am
Funcargo Toyota is a better bet long term, the particular body styling of the Cube isn't really of much use unless carrying very tall and wide things that can fit in the load area, which isn't great anyway with the seats up. Both vehicles sadly have silly side opening doors instead of proper hatchbacks like they should have.

sr2, May 21, 11:28am
Intrade me old mate; every car made after 2005 needs access to specific equipment and databases to diagnose problems. Being a qualified/experienced mechanic why are you so scared of modern electronics?
The much valued contribution you make to this MB by sharing your extensive knowledge of diesel engines is appreciated by all but marred by your almost pathological paranoia of modern technology.

kazbanz, May 22, 12:05am
There are now 2 or three generations of Nissan Cube.
I would say most likely she is looking at one of the two first generations though,
First generation mechanically is the same as the first generation Micra/march. 1300cc pretty economical . High seats are the attraction along with good all round visibility.
Second generation grew in size and is the direct competition to the Toyota BB.
They again are a pretty good car. I could never understand people buying them when the likes of the funcargo/sienta etc are available but hey everybody is different.
There is obe variation which is the cube cubic.-believe it or not its a 7 seater.back row is for midgets or just use it as a 5 seater I guess

thejazzpianoma, May 22, 1:33am
Later model Nissan's are just disposable short life junk now, it's a crying shame as their product's in the 90's were so very good. Personally I won't go near one, problems vary somewhat between models but rediculously short life transmissions, substandard design, terrible build quality and absurdly premature rust are common themes.

You can do MUCH better.

msigg, May 22, 1:52am
Yes Kazbanz has the insight on these, they are excellent for what they are, very reliable and efficient. Good little car.

intrade, May 22, 2:40am
i dont have any paranoya but i know what sort of morons are fixing cars in this country and they wont fix any real problems on this car as they have not the slightest clue of how it functions. and what minimal problems cause a complet no start on em.