Camry timing chain

Page 2 / 2
intrade, Jun 22, 4:28am
You can buy what ever you want i just tell you what can happen. I just finished a job on mercedes diesel intercooler had blowen out black smoke lack of power and swoosh noise . . his wive recond its his driving lol, i said well normaly that should not have any bearing on bloweing out the cooler. It is what it is and even my vw tdi has expensive problems , dont like it then buy a 90s toyota as a 2010 toyota is in the same catagory for problems as my vw or this merc, for one day having expensive issues .
So my opinion is there is no good cars there is only ones with more and ones with less problems and you get more problems if you dont service a newer car correctly
our dacia sandero has now 35,000km and 4 years it needed a indicator stalk this is the only item whom failed on it! rest is oil and filters there is nothing else to go wrong as it dont has anything not even a radio its got abs airbags and euro5 emission engine.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 22, 5:59am
I have owned and liked many Japanese cars, but not of the last 15 years. When Japan went in to recession in the 90's pretty much all vehicle manufacturers cut their research and development budgets drastically, this at a time when the likes of Germany had money to burn.

The result is it's very hard going finding a Japanese car that is as efficient and well featured as the likes of what Germany and others put out for the same money.

If you are wondering why Japanese cars are so popular in NZ, its nothing at all to do with the quality of the vehicle. Popularity does not equal "best" (and this is a very well studied psychological phenomenon). The reason they are popular in NZ is because we have a used car industry that revolves pretty much soley around used Japanese imports and has done for decades. Those stories told to sell the lesser featured imports (usually supposed "reliability" and "repair cost" because these are hard to quantify and demonstrate) have become part of the NZ psyhche.

You can either join the herd and buy a lesser vehicle for your money or you can take a Golf, Passat, Octavia etc for a drive and see exactly what I am talking about. If you do, reset the trip meter and compare what economy you get over your test drive between the camry and the VW products. I think you will be amazed.

bill1451, Jun 22, 6:33am
exactly Toyotas are good Ive had a few but a million between cam belt/chain replacements
Wow! Mosr Euro cars wouldnt do that eh Jazz lol

snoopy221, Jun 22, 6:39am
The reason they are popular in NZ is because we have a used car industry that revolves pretty much soley around used Japanese imports and has done for decades. Those stories told to sell the lesser featured imports (usually supposed "reliability" and "repair cost" because these are hard to quantify and demonstrate) have become part of the NZ psyhche.

You can either join the herd and buy a lesser vehicle for your money or you can take a Golf, Passat, Octavia etc for a drive and see exactly what I am talking about. If you do, reset the trip meter and compare what economy you get over your test drive between the camry and the VW products.

Sheesh Bra- juss caus ya know i cannae argue wiff a man when E-IS RIGHT-LOL

Bugga aye.

Long live the ole unbreakable Hilux 2l pre bk n shim
mmm Intrade yours is still goin aye-
oops did i forget pre dual mass flywheel? lol

rak1, Jun 22, 8:09am
Lovely feedback people. Oops, sorry tmenz, one to many zeros on the kms. Have put 3 belts in since we have had it. gmphil, might have a look at the underseal product you mention. Cheers

jason_247, Jun 22, 9:05pm
I dont think the painter is saying the mechanic knows less. i think what hes getting at is his answers generally have nothing to do with the question.

If you will note the question was life of the chain and quality of under body seal.

did that get answered by intrade? does anything?

mottly, Jun 24, 8:36pm
I had my camry for yonks. As long as basic servicing and maintenance is done, it'll be no worries. They have a 7 stage rust preventative treatment before they leave the factory, so don't worry about it. Mine had zero rust, and I live 100m from the sea. Often our roads are covered in sea wash and sand. Imo, don't even stop to think about it with camrys, just do it. You won't regret it. They're an awesome car.

movnon, Jun 27, 8:37am
I can clearly recall the jazz boasting about his reliable euro heaps o s but also how cheap the parts are if one knows how to source them. Also the importance of the correct oils & coolants & servicing.
Well i've owned about 10 toycars 1 from new did about 250k apart from tyres & batteries, oil filters plugs & points(3 or 4 sets), disc pads clutch PLATE only(x once each) oh & 1 cambelt there were no issues & chances are it would still be a 2nd car had it not been rear ended & written off!
Of the other 9 the maintenance costs would not have exceeded 5k over 30 years with most of that being batteries tyres & minor WOF stuff (lights, tie rod ends or balljoints.
Technology has been forced on Toyota mainly because of emmission concerns but their meturlagy(sp) innovation & engineering brought other manufacturers into the 21 century

gunhand, Apr 21, 1:00am
Awww come on now, he didn't actually say WHEN they would crap out. I think 1.2 million Kms is about when one will crap out, Not a good look for Toyota at all when they should go 1.3million before breaking. And thats with out any servicing.