Powerful cars and not speeding

Page 2 / 2
phalanax, May 29, 5:53am
Put a turbo on that 1800 corolla and overtake the bmw while its overtaking another car. lol

lusty9, May 29, 5:56am
You'll be surprised how peppy corolla's are nowadays and in regards to your 4.4 its a baby compared to many V6 commodores, falcons and the likes. I know I had a 2007 745i beautiful car and very quick. sold it and got a Ford F6 4.0 and it'll run circles around the beemer any day.

phalanax, May 29, 6:01am
Was heading to Tauranga and had some wally in an x5 trying to block me out of the passing lane so I braked and followed him. then I indicated to overtake and he pulled out in front of me without indicating forcing me out wide to the gravel we were 3 wide I floored it and left him behind. lol. Cadillac. lol.-
. another time came across a young fullah hoodie and all in a black 735 weaving and slowing an old man down in an Auckland side street he was being mean to this olde guy. I got between him and the old man and tailgated him then he roared off . I floored it caught and passed him and did the same trick he was doing to the old man. he hated it. lol another Cadillac tale. lol

lusty9, May 29, 11:21am
my wife has a Toyota Blade 3.5 similar to the corolla but has the 3.5 v6 in it. It'll leave that beemer for dead. power to weight ratio, it leave it on a drag and around corners.

meow_mix, May 29, 11:30am
Obviously.

richardmayes, May 29, 11:13pm
I know it makes me sound like someone who hasn't lived much.

. but our new CVT Corolla is actually a really REALLY neat little car. FAR better handling than the previous (Auris/Blade) model, and with the tricky CVT plus its good double wishbone suspension I am sure I would drive it everywhere at 200km/h + if I was not afraid of the law! It is good to see a trend back towards low-slung cars that actually want to go around corners.

It is also the first small-engined automatic I have driven where it is really not necessary (or even worth it) to put the stick into up/down mode and do manual gearchanges. I've driven any number of 2000-2010 era cars with up/down 5 speed / 6 speed autos, and if you want to drive quickly and corner fast in those you really need to be changing gears manually, so you can get into the gear you want before the corner.
But the CVT is so quick to figure out what you want, and the handling of this car is so neutral and balanced, that there is just no need for that in most situations. (Occasionally you'll still see a series of bends coming where you know it will be nicer if you get the revs up manually before you enter. )

It's the first time any automatic trans has ever actually sped me up rather than slowed me down! And the first auto where I haven't wished there was a clutch and a manual box.

dublo, May 30, 12:03am
And I am sure the correspondent above is writing not about his own cars, but company ones which of course can have much more of their power and roadholding abilities enjoyed to the full!

sr2, May 30, 12:26am
LOL, and we all know the only thing faster than a company car is a hire car!

cassina1, May 30, 12:45am
My rule of thumb is its safer and cheaper to risk a ticket than a head on.

gazzat22, May 30, 1:20am
Obviously !

brapbrap8, May 30, 2:49am
All of the euro brands have driver training days for their customers at Hampton Downs, and one of the units is a group test drive out on the roads around the North Waikato/South Auckland area, switching cars every 10 minutes or so.
They have radios in the cars for giving directions, and also notifying other drivers about where speed cameras and coppers are hiding out.
The driving can get a wee bit naughty sometimes.
I know I struggled to behave when I found myself on a quiet SH1 in a twin turbo V8 german sports car with advance knowledge of where the speed cameras were located,

mike1345, May 30, 4:27am
Some of us are. Except maybe for the speaking Deutsch. We just follow and pull pony tails instead.

gazzat22, May 30, 5:01am
Not just any v8 a 4.4 litre BMW v8 like wow !

budgel, May 30, 6:26am
Hell . I only mentioned what it was to form a valid comparison/contrast with what I had before.
I realise that there are lots of more powerful cars out there. Hence my point about it being more a luxury car than a performance car.

The critical point I was trying to make is that it has changed my driving style.
Cassina1 has got the point!

craigs_workshop, May 30, 10:46pm
& it doesnt matter how many cylinders you have when its gunged up to hell & back & doesnt have the response & rev out potential that a tuned car does

lookoutas, May 30, 11:05pm
After all this - I wonder who's got the fastest car?
Or the biggest whatever.

The Eagles have the answer.

"Take It To The Limit"

dublo, May 31, 4:10am
There must be some mystique attached to V8s that brings out a lot of comment about their owners. Personally, I don't like the uneven exhaust beat which many seem to love. We had a Rover V8 for some years and its exhaust system was designed so that you couldn't tell that it was a V8!

noodleman4, Aug 20, 10:31am
Agree with this, and a radar detector is the way to go .