When you sell a car is a current warrant ok or

lissa25, Feb 17, 11:02pm
If after she has paid for the vehicle check, she still wants to buy it, I would put a new wof on it if it makes the sale for her, what's $50 to guarantee a sale?

kazbanz, Feb 18, 12:32am
What were the terms and conditions of sale?
ie does it specifically say in your advert as is where is?
If not its a legal requirement to have a less than 4 week/28 day old WOF

bjmh, Feb 18, 12:34am

daryl14, Feb 18, 1:10am
I think It's pretty much an unwritten law and generally accepted practice that any private vehicle sales are sold "as is where is" and therefore not subject to a 28 day WOF clause.

I also think this has been backed up by various disputes tribunal rulings. The fact that the NZTA fact sheet says it "should" pretty much means "nobody can enforce it". It's up to the buyer and seller to agree which way it goes.

daryl14, Feb 18, 7:55pm
Hi kaz, please read my post above and then tell me where the legal requirement is. Should does not mean must. Unless there is a piece of conflicting legislation somewhere?

kazbanz, Feb 18, 9:33pm
I'll have to dig a bit so bear with me. Somewhere in the actual legislation it says MUST not should. if you want a really frustrating time start digging into "advise sheets" and cross referencing them to the actual legislation.

gmphil, Jun 11, 2:48am
phase fit for purpose springs to mind here !
in a private sale
due diligent by purchaser she/he is aware of wof not bein les than 28 days old than its up to them I feel to ascertain weather this vehicle is for them .
they can ask and as above will clinch sale I guess or u could pay more and see a dealer for peace of mind !. but as is where is in a private advert is the best thing to do as it state clearly it on your head