Audi a4 kick back when at low speed gear change

mainlander05, Jul 24, 11:32pm
Son in law has this problem and a bad thump in rear end when changing at low speed.have suggested an oil change in the gear box to help but any ideas please?

intrade, Jul 25, 12:18am
ok you have given a few clues low speed and harsh shift would suggest the valve in the gearbox is like dumping the cluch in to gear.
so what could cause this maybe there is a tsb about this problem.
like toyota dump the memmory of shift learn when battery voltage drops to low = default setting is harsh shifting till it relearns shift points. . it can be alsorts but the symptoms when it occures have more often then not something to do to point in the right direction.
So the first thing i would do is electronic test the battery, they often have voltage dropouts on the fusebox on top of the battery also on vw audi

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 1:52am
What year/engine/transmission setup is the A4?

mrfxit, Jul 25, 2:01am
If it's only with 1 specific gear change, then it's likely to be a single damaged valve or valve spring in the valve body.

mainlander05, Jul 25, 4:32am
Thanks so far people.will get more info.did however forget to say that the engine warning light is sometimes showing then not.weird.
I did tell him not to buy euro as they cost a bomb to fix.

budgel, Jul 25, 5:42am
If it is a manual, it may be the dual mass flywheel on the way out.

intrade, Jul 25, 5:48am
engine warning light is on when there is a error detected 5 or more times during a cycle of correction. once the correction moves within its window of correction the light will go out again untill it fails 5 times again.

this is how et works on any car not just vw how the check engine light gets illuminated.
there will be codes stored in memmory even if the light is turned off again .
So a serial data scann would be helpfull with a oem capable VW factory Level scanner like rosstech vcds like i own or autologic or the factory volkswagen dealer tool, for vw

lookoutas, Jul 25, 7:14am
I drove an auto Merc truck last week, and it changes just like a manual.
Foot nailed flat to the boards, and the revs drop off each time it changes up.
Pretty tricky I thought, until I braked for the first intersection and the bloody thing started going down through the gears, which was OK tricky too - except the bloody thing revved for each change down!
Bloody near crapped myself, thinking I must have hit the accelerator as well and it was never going to stop in that case - but I hadn't.

The tutu level was quite good after sorting all that out.

henderson_guy, Jul 25, 8:15am
Not a new thing, many trucks on our roads have used this "automated manual" for some time.
It changes just like a manual, because it IS a manual. only a little robot changes gear for you.

intrade, Jul 25, 10:51pm
it needs to do that to speed up the straight cut gears its got no synchros , i dont know what truck it is but some sprinter vans had this gearbox also early 2000. ring. ring the ecu reves the engine twice during shifts.

mainlander05, Jul 26, 4:47am
Psssst intrade . its an Audi,not a VW.but thanks for feedback.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 26, 10:24am
It's a VW group product though, which effectively means same car, different party dress. When it comes to scan software like VCDS as he mentioned, it's all the same. VCDS does Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat because it's all the same computers and electronics. I tend to find myself calling everything VW group a VW too, because once you understand what it's made of that's how you tend to see them!