Cars listed for sale but apparently sold

totalimp, Nov 20, 8:06am
Been on the hunt for a specific car, emailed a few and had a couple coming back saying sorry sold. Yet listing still up on trade me a week or so later. Is this the norm? We did put a figure in the email as an offer but it was $1K under asking, not expecting it to be accepted, hoping for a negotiation or flat out no we want this much sort of thing. We didn't think that $1K under would be cheeky (on a car price of approx $12K) or could it be possible that they have genuinely sold the car and just can't be bothered taking the listing off? This has happened on about 3 cars we have enquired about.

westwyn, Nov 20, 8:14am
Not that this is necessarily the case in this particular instance, but often it is better to leave a listing "in place" until money changes hands and the car is delivered (which can sometimes be a week after it's sold, or at least, a sale agreed upon). It's insurance- once you withdraw the listing, you can't re-list it without paying a new fee (if it's a regular classified), so better you keep the listing "live" just in case the buyer changes their mind, or can't get finance, or whatever reason a sale may fall over.

totalimp, Nov 20, 8:26am
Thats a fair point, and perhaps that is the case. I've never taken cars i've listed off trade me until cash and keys have swapped.

skoty, Nov 20, 8:28am
I know of a few people that have kept their car's up for sale when in fact its been sold and money has changed hands. Why do I know this, because I've brought a few cars over the years. They straight out do not want to pay the success fees on top of the advertising fees. and of course ripping off the system for other sellers!

totalimp, Nov 20, 8:38am
Do classifieds have success fees aswell? 2 of them were classifieds

ETA - or fees to pay when you withdraw the listing? I didn't think there were fees

kazbanz, Nov 20, 8:56am
being a cynic-maybe they know the car is the cheapest in the country (for a decent one) and can't be buggered dealing with someone wanting to negotiate.

totalimp, Nov 20, 9:10am
Thats my thinking too. But if someone took the time to email me or message me, I'd reply. Even just with a get stuffed mate, price is as is. There's one that we are keen on, it's still listed. Has been online since middle of the year, we offered $1.5K below asking via email incl aa inspection at our expense and got no response. Partner then enquired and he replied back saying sorry sold. I just need to let it go i think. Sadly.

apollo11, Nov 20, 9:16am
I've had similar stuff from the occasional dealer. I guess if they get enquiries about a car they have sold already they can try to steer you towards something else they have in the yard.

westwyn, Nov 20, 10:46am
Apollo, I hadn't considered that, but yeah, I guess if you had ten white 2006 Nissan Tiida 15B sedans between 80-90,000km, why advertise more than one?
Skoty- with a classified, there is NO success fee, and NO withdrawal fee. You pay up-front to list the car. You don't pay anything further to Trademe if it sells.

kazbanz, Nov 20, 8:10pm
Overnight I had a thought on this subject. Given you have been having a ZERO response have you tried checking YOUR e mail?
First that there is something about your isp etc that dumps your enquiry into peoples trash can or has it as spam/ dangerous.
Second Do you check YOUR trash can to be sure you aren't the same.
it might be worth pinging an e mail off of someone you know and see if they respond.

kazbanz, Nov 20, 8:19pm
Apollo, Funny you should say that. Its a well known trick.
Ohh Im sorry that &4995 Suzuki swift has sold. BUT its your lucky day. We have another one for sale. Turn up and its a couple of thousand more than the advertised price. -or basicly the same price as every other car dealer.

totalimp, Nov 20, 8:58pm
Yeah my emails are working, have struck a reply from one that we will probably go with. Zilch in my spam, spam is checked everyday incase i win the nigerian lottery or incase my great uncle george from syria leaves me his oil fortune.

kazbanz, Nov 20, 9:34pm
what about outgoing?
hey Im no internet expert but this exact subject came up with a customer of ours. Our filter was dumping their e mails because they posed a "danger"

totalimp, Nov 20, 9:36pm
I was sending them through trade me, and also texting the number on the ad.

billyfieldman, Nov 20, 9:45pm
Some dealers have the idea that serious buyers make enquiries by phone. So they don't bother replying if you text or email.

m16d, Nov 20, 9:54pm
I just find it a bit odd when the email inquiry only contains a silly offer. like you haven't even been to have a look at it yet. are you a serious buyer. ?

kazbanz, Nov 20, 10:00pm
No dude as a rule that is not true. but the very nature of the enquiry tends to determine the response you get.
a txt msg saying. "wats ur best cash deal on ya car"
gets treated a LOT differently from
Im interested in your 2005 yiana ziala. Subject to a test drive and inspection we would like to offer $10.00 for the car.

totalimp, Nov 21, 2:03am
So my email usually goes along the lines of:

Hey bro, love the pink mini you've got listed. Would you take $35,608 cash for it? If not whats your price? We're keen buyers, and if you're happy we'd like to arrange an AA/VTNZ inspection at our expense but at your convenience. We live in Wellington were there are no pimpin rides as cool as yours so if the aa report is all good we can come pick up with cash. Etc.

So yes serious buyers. And many buy sight unseen. Something I'd never do. But if you live in wellington and the car you want is in auckland, you'd want to check it's within your budget and all that before wasting money and going up there. If it's listed for $22K but you can only stretch to $21K, you gonna want to do your bargaining before you go.

totalimp, Nov 21, 2:05am
I prefer offers/Q&As etc to be in writing/email. Huge fan of covering my arse just incase!

kazbanz, Sep 27, 9:23am
The only change I would make to your enquiry would be to say. I am offering $XXX rather than asking would you take.
I know Its semantics but one seems to be a fishing expedition the other is an offer to buy. You are pretty clearly laying out the terms of your offer to purchase.
the only other change might be to mention a deposit to secure the car conditional to a FULL AA pp inspection and a test drive.