SV6 Holden or FG Falcon or Toyota Sportivo

Page 1 / 2
fhpottery, Dec 7, 4:41am
I'm upgrading and want your opinion on these three models.
Probably will go V8. (unless the toyota obviously) Any comments appreciated. Thanks

fhpottery, Dec 7, 4:42am
Sorry not sv6, but the V8 Commodore. comment on SV6 good too though. Thanks

monaro17, Dec 7, 5:08am
Firstly I assume you are talking the V6 Aurion and not the Camry sportivo you have mentioned?

The Aurion although pitched to commodore and falcon buyers really isn't in quite the same category as the aussie 6's. It is front wheel drive so doesn't drive the same nor can it tow anywhere near the loads of the rear wheel drive aussies. The Aurion is a quick car- quicker than both the SV6 or the XR6 but only in a straight line when hustled most reviews have it lagging behind the rear drivers. It is more refined than either too.

IMO the VE commodore drives better than the FG falcon but it is personal preference. If going for SV6 it has to be the SIDI version as it is a far nicer unit than the non SIDI engine. The Ford is torquier and quieter but has a bad driving position and is noticeably smaller in the cabin. Both use similar amounts of fuel. The FG falcon has a far nicer interior than the VE Commodore.

When it comes to the V8s the Holden is the better car IMO. Not to mention the FG XR8 is quite a rarity so commands quite a price if you find one. Both engines are great but the GEN IV holden is the superior unit in practically all the reviews I have read. Look for the SS V spec as it has a nicer interior specification.

I would also add the FG G6E Turbo to your list. I would pick one over all of the above- and it can be had for surprisingly little money and will out perform all and use less fuel than all bar the Aurion.

clark20, Dec 7, 5:14am
Might help if you have a budget for us, I am now a V8 Commodore (VE/VF)fan , but a nice XR6 is hard to beat on value.

gunhand, Dec 7, 5:28am
Test drove 2012 FGxr6 and VE SV6 SIDI back to back. Both completely different to drive and both completely different in how they feel.
FG was very free revving and went like a shower of shit. Nice gear box.
Then the Holden. Also went like a shower of shit and drove well. Felt slower but in reality wasn't. But in real world driving you wouldn't drive them that hard. would you? Both had all the doodads you play with once then never again.
Both stopped very well, handled well for a barge.
In the end the Holden was purchased due to some slightly better ergo's and things like glove box size etc. It did come down to being picky.
And looks of course.
The Holden did "feel" better constructed and tighter all round. But they do fall to bits quite quick if abused.
So it all came down to what one likes and dislikes. No one can really tell what to buy though.
As for the Toyota, no idea but If I drove a late model one I reckon I'd be sold on it. But all have more than enough power and handling to suit normal people driving in NZ.
Oh, and the real clincher, the Holden dealer gave better trade on a Ford than Ford did on on a Ford. Both cars were same value lol.

brapbrap8, Dec 7, 6:18am
I went in an FG XR6 recently and was amazed at how rubbish they are built, the plastics and trim inside it felt incredibly cheap, my $22,000 Mitsi Lancer is built to a higher standard than a new Falcon!
For that reason alone I would have the Holden, they are way closer to the euros for build quality, design and materials.

serf407, Dec 7, 6:54am
#1 - Evaluate the quality of the rustproofing of the various cars if you are close to the coast.

bjmh, Dec 7, 6:12pm
I had a SS 5.7 . nice car but sounded like a 58 chev on startup. gudgeon rattle,traded for a GTR basically the same as the SV6 . brilliant car,then wife decided we need a 7 seater to take grandkids. so we have a Nissan x trail.The SS and the GTR were brilliant travelling cars.Falcon and Commodore are very good bang for your buck.

tamarillo, Dec 7, 8:37pm
Are we talking new ones op?
If so, the mark 2 VF commodore ss sounds like a huge success, pick up November wheels mag.
I had a v8 Calais VF WAGON for a year and found it a big step up from VE especially in the cabin which lets face it, is where you live in the car. A damn good car. Used a few Falcon XR6 and commodore SV6 rentals and found the VF way ahead of falcon, but the V8 not the huge gain over the V6 commodore I'd think it would be. The V8 made front too heavy and the SV6 simply steered and cornered better.
But if your looking new at the new SS, well that's got a lot more grunt again and sounds bloody wonderful.
For me, the commodore rwd is just better than a fwd aurion though I won't claim to have driven one in anger. Just don't like powerful heavy fwd cars. But that's personal.
I'd get the commodore.

thunderbolt, Dec 7, 9:45pm
Seems the decision between the two RWD options is a personal one.
I don't have an FG as a daily driver anymore, but still drive FG's and VF's as rentals and would take the FG over the VF any day.
FG Turbo is great drive.
The Sportivo is third for me, just because I prefer RWD in larger cars, shopping trolleys around town are ok in FWD.

richardmayes, Dec 8, 12:36am
My only experience of Fords and Holdens is early 2000s models, and among ones of that era I've always preferred the Fords because of their generally more refined ride. No idea if that is still true of the more recent cars you are looking at, sorry.

Toyota Aurion is a decidedly average car with a real cracker of an engine in it. I have driven a 2009 Aurion fairly extensively through work, and if it were not for the power of the engine, the Aurion would be well behind my Dad's 1990s V6 Honda Accord in absolutely every way. Noise, ride comfort, handling, all are "acceptable" only and nowhere near as good as better, similar cars. So if you are steering towards the Aurion, look seriously at the other big Japanese V6s too before you buy anything!

richardmayes, Dec 8, 12:39am
PS: I have heard a lot of positive comments about the Camry Hybrid, from people on the NZHondas forum (of all places!)

Honda enthusiasts are all about small light cars with manual gearboxes and revving their little engines to 9,000rpm. So for those people to be supportive of that sort of car, there must be a lot to like!

mram, Dec 8, 2:39am
Unfortunately theres already been FG falcons with severe rust issues

monaro17, Dec 8, 5:48am
As with any car there will be the odd one with rust issues but as a whole the FG does NOT have rust issues

fhpottery, Dec 8, 5:50am
Thanks so much those are really good points. I wonder if some reviews on YOU TUBE are a bit biased. Ive heard the SV6 transmissions give issues at higher KM's too.

fhpottery, Dec 8, 5:52am
Thanks and again really good points!

fhpottery, Dec 8, 5:53am
Cheers, yes they are a bit ho-hum I agree.

fhpottery, Dec 8, 5:55am
Ive had lots of fords (god even a sierra) and they do have nice steering geometry. Yes FWD is just a different animal. Thanks for reply awesome.

fhpottery, Dec 8, 5:57am
Thanks it seems everyone kind of thinks the aurion better to go to bowls in. I agree.

fhpottery, Dec 8, 6:01am
Thanks for really informative feedback. I think there is a huge variety to chose from on TM motors, and some of the big holdens are stunning.
After looking at all options I'm looking at the FG XR8.

3tomany, Dec 8, 6:04am
I have a friend who traded his fg xr6 in at the local ford dealer. The reason i bring it up is he babies his cars always garaged, serviced, washed every week, no towbar, if i were looking for a very good example thats the one i would buy. I have no idea if it is still there or even in yet as he had to wait for his new one.

stevo2, Dec 8, 6:15am
If you really want a V8, buy a V8. Any thing else will be a compromise (even though it may be a better car) and you will always be a little disappointed when you know you really want a V8

200sx, Dec 8, 6:30am
Best advice on this thread.
If a V8 is something you are looking at, now is the time to do it.
There are certain things that put a smile on your dial that only a V8 can offer. Sure, it might use 10-15% more gas, but does that really matter in the overall scheme of life? You only live once (in theory), so pick your cars with that in mind. I've owned V8s continually for the last 10 years. No regrets.
Commodore SS or XR8? Tough call, but they are different enough to have quite separate characters. My ownership experience is based on the VE SS - get a good one and you'll be sweet. Good thing is that there is a massive selection available. Look for good history, and don't be concerned about one that has been professionally modified under the hood by a reputable aftermarket fitter.
Haven't owned an XR8 since I had a 02 XR8 Series 3, so can't really comment on the newer ones. Had numerous FG XR6 rentals - actually quite like them, and good fun to thrash (gotta love a rental - drive it like ya stole it).

tamarillo, Dec 8, 6:51am
Have to agree, if you've got an itch for v8 nows the time. The v8 calais averaged 13 litres per 100km, this around Nelson and plenty of South Island trips.

totalimp, Jul 13, 2:39am
Holden fan here. I'm a SV6 owner. Wish I could afford a newer SS, but until i can, my SV6 does me well. I had a 2012 SV6 which was written off. So tried to put my big girl panties on and went for a Subaru Outback thinking i needed to be practical and get a family wagon. Ended up selling it and getting another SV6. My long legs wouldn't fit in a XR8 or Mondeo but i fit comfortably in the newer holdens. They drive well and look good. My father in law loved my old holden before it was written off, and he's had BMW's and mercedes.