Going from 165 to 185 tyre, rim big enough?

ambo11, Jan 24, 8:04pm
Got a Nissan Vanette with skinny 165/R/14 tyres, would like a slightly wider footprint, plus would help as its a 4WD van. Will the standard skinny 6 stud steel rims be wide enough to go to a 185/70/14 tyre? Cheers

woki, Jan 24, 8:05pm
Yes , wont be a problem at all .

ambo11, Jan 24, 8:22pm
Cheers, its only a 20mm difference. Might help get rid of that extreme bumpy ride too. lol

mrfxit, Jan 24, 8:43pm
No problem at all but run slightly higher pressures then you would have normally.
Should already be running 34psi to 36psi front anyway (combined weight & momentum when braking/ cornering).
Personally would try 36psi to 38psi front with that vehicle/ rim & tyre combo & see how it handles & tyre wear.

Is this an AWD type or selectable 4wd/4x4 type vehicle
AWD need to have tyre pressures a bit closer all round so 32psi minimum for the back if doing 38psi front.

Vans are really bad for chewing front tyres because of the extra weight over the tyres + normal momentum weights when cornering & stopping

ambo11, Jan 24, 9:16pm
Thanks mrfxit, its a selectable 4WD, I'm not worried about wear as its not an everyday van. Yeah I'm a fan of higher pressures to help keep tyres cool etc, it has 8 ply 165/R/14s at moment, so hoping the standard 185/70/15 car tyres may soften the ride a little.

gmphil, Jan 24, 9:40pm
i tried to this yesterday ! I have trailer with 195 8 plys to tall wot I want .
tried to have tyre shop stick on 195 55 15 they told me no is commercial rim need commercial tyres

mrfxit, Jan 24, 10:31pm
LOL, they are full of it but even then . LOL yea nah can't think of a reason why not apart from what loads you have on that trailer & maybe chassis clearance or known heavy loads

gmphil, Jan 24, 11:01pm
il take them to another tyre shop tomorrow see wot there say

ambo11, Jan 25, 1:20am
Found some 185/80/14 8 ply brand new for $77. so got 4 of them. cheers

scuba, Jan 25, 1:46am
you have gone to a bigger tyre size overall- taller and wider- if you bought them from a tyre shop they haven't done you any favours

quickbuck, Jan 25, 4:23am
No, and the speedo will read slower too.

mrfxit, Jan 25, 4:34am
Wider is good in most cases
The extra height is easily managed providing the driver knows about it
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?width1=165&ratio1=80&rim1=14&width2=185&ratio2=80&rim2=14

185/70/14 would have been much better at 100km road speed reading 99kph speedo.

BUT it could be fine depending on the brand & model of tyre chosen

lookoutas, Jan 25, 6:41am
There is a trap that can be fallen into here, and having worn the T'shirt etc, I often wonder if people contemplating larger profile tyres, realise the result.

My experience:- back when I had a 327 manual 67 Camaro, It had big arsed tyres on the back. I think they were Firestone Wide Oval's. Hard as hell and slippery in the wet. Hence they wouldn't wear out.
When it came time to sell it, those tyres were only just warrantable, so I replaced them with TA's to match the front, which were a much lower profile.
Now that car went like stink (if the gears were used) but with the TA's on the back, it lept into life so much easier and was much more driver friendly.
As well as holding the road better. But that's not the issue.

mrfxit, Jan 25, 9:58pm
LOL yea agreed & been there done that as well.

Struggling on what to do with my van.
Spose to have taller tyres but currently has slightly shorter tyres on it
Reasonable amount of acceleration & holds the hills ok but revs at 3100rpm / 100kph in 5th gear

richardmayes, Jan 26, 12:14am

esky-tastic, Jan 26, 1:04am
Probably it will read the true speed!

quickbuck, Jul 22, 3:45pm
Yes, I did think of that, hence the . ;)