Triton Hilux etc rear drum brakes

Page 2 / 2
a.woodrow, Jul 9, 8:08am
Sure in the sense that drum brakes are cheaper and more effective than discs. Look at the surface area of a brake pad compared to a brake shoe. Would think it's a no brainer, but clearly not for some.

xs1100, Jul 9, 8:15am
other way round most trailers in this country have discs and more going back to drum especially when carrying livestock drum gives a nicer brake and not so harsh

henderson_guy, Jul 9, 8:20am
Really? My experience is exactly the opposite.

xs1100, Jul 9, 8:28am
the majority of light trailers are disc brake especially boat trailers,and mainly horse floats are electric drum

henderson_guy, Jul 9, 8:49am
In regards to the orginal question, I found this:

Seems reasonable to me.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/brakes-drum-vs-disc.html

bigfatmat1, Jul 9, 8:53am
same lol

bigfatmat1, Jul 9, 8:54am
you are comparing electric and hydraulic. It would be very tricky to design electric disks pretty sure law for new trailers over 2t must now have electric brakes

henderson_guy, Jul 9, 8:58am
Discs probably seem so harsh because the drum brakes give a pathetic soft effort in comparison.

bigfatmat1, Jul 9, 9:04am
spent years and years fixing ebs/abs on truck and trailer units and I have noticed that drums are much better suited for some environments like fuel tanker quads that service Stockton mine. Would be fixing the same faults over and over again grit pushing sensors out and destroying tone rings. As well as excess wear to disks and pads

xs1100, Jul 9, 7:38pm
hahaha ummm don't think so,be a uproar if that was the case.no actual laws in regards disc or drum

xs1100, Jul 9, 7:39pm
and yes there electric drum, hydraulic drum and hydraulic disc and electric over hydraulic disc

tweake, Jul 9, 11:10pm
i think thats for aussie.
nz requires breakaway brakes over 2.5t and often they are electric, tho there is electric/hydraulic.

brapbrap8, Jul 9, 11:26pm
The electric brakes for car trailers over 2.5ton would mostly be electric/air wouldn't they?
Our sensabrake system on the boat trailer is and it works great.
It has 2 air operated discs and seems to have more than enough braking power.
I think discs are more reliable and easy to clean for use in a salt water environment too.

bigfatmat1, Jul 10, 12:51am
I didn't say drum I said electric. It's over 2.5t have to be driver input brakes. Which are electric or electric over air I have never seen electric over hydraulic. Also brake away systems are electric

bill-robinson, Jul 10, 1:21am
when you brake weight is transfered forward onto the front axle. anywhere between 55% and 85% of braking is done by the front and on this basis there is not a lot of need for disk brakes on the rear

tweake, Jul 10, 3:18am
i think hydrastar is electric over hydraulic. sensabrake being electric/air over hydraulic.
none have true air brakes. either electric solenoid moving the brake pads or hydraulics moving the brake pads.

certainly in light trailers i much prefer disks to drums. would like to see more ventilated disks on the market. we have cooked the brakes a few times.

sr2, Feb 27, 12:36am
I think you've posted a link to a rather old American article, (remember the Viper was released in 91?).
Statements such as "The majority of new vehicles, however, continue to utilize a front-disc/rear-drum brake setup" are a bit of a giveaway!

Edited to say I just discovered the original article was published over 16 years ago.