Triton Hilux etc rear drum brakes

Page 1 / 2
lisa145, Jul 7, 2:54am
Does anybody know why modern utes still have drum rear brakes

tweake, Jul 7, 3:09am
not 100% sure myself but i suspect cost and that its easy to do a good parking brake that can handle the loads utes often have.

gmphil, Jul 7, 3:13am
just beter braking !

a.woodrow, Jul 7, 5:55am
Far more braking capability compared to disk brakes when they are carrying heavy loads

cagivachick1, Jul 7, 6:02am
i think in asian countrys they get cheaper tax for vehicles with drum brakes

aj254, Jul 7, 6:41am
The only advantages I can think of with drums is cost, components are better protected from contamination, and the brake system is simpler. Maybe easier to get a bit more surface area on the pads.
I think the biggest factor is cost though as most high performance vehicles that really need good braking have gone disc.

rctr, Jul 7, 7:07am
Maybe a case of if ain't broken don't fix it.

mugenb20b, Jul 7, 7:09am
Cheaper to make and you get a more efficient handbrake.

henderson_guy, Jul 7, 9:17pm
Then how come so many trucks have gone to discs?

a.woodrow, Jul 8, 12:33am
Not that many have.

franc123, Jul 8, 12:45am
Cost and the sheer amount of brake friction area it gives are the main reasons, especially considering the amount of weight concentration in the rear. In ute based SUV (like Colorado7, R51 Pathfinder etc) that are primarily passenger vehicles they'll use discs alright in place of drums, along with coil suspension etc.

henderson_guy, Jul 8, 1:05am
Nah. Just most European stuff.

a.woodrow, Jul 8, 8:59am
Not the euro brands I work for. "some" euro stuff maybe. Just like "some" jap stuff uses discs

bigfatmat1, Jul 8, 9:16am
and trailers are shifting from drum to disc

henderson_guy, Jul 8, 9:48am
Volvo, scania, Mercedes, plus as BFM says, most trailers are heading that way too. The entire fonterrs fleet, for example. Even some American stuff is starting to go discs on the front.

a.woodrow, Jul 8, 11:27am
Sure ok. Did you see the bit where OP was talking about hilux, triton etc?

henderson_guy, Jul 8, 4:55pm
Yes, did you see the bit where you stated drums had a higher load capability and I pointed out that wasn't the case?

m16d, Jul 8, 8:11pm
My Triton is a manual,so on a steep boat ramp,I pull the hand brake on,then give it 2 extra clicks for good measure. then I know them big drums are going to stop it rolling back into the tide as the boat is winched on.
Not saying that disc's would be any different but.

Just saying. that's all

bill-robinson, Jul 8, 8:36pm
given the total lack of maintainance on trailers in this country that is a safety feature

henderson_guy, Jul 8, 9:35pm
Truck trailers, he's talking about.

bigfatmat1, Jul 8, 9:48pm
Ssangyong Actyon have a disk rear with a tiny handbrake drum that is the worst handbrake I have ever used.

bill-robinson, Jul 8, 10:31pm
then my statement still stands

henderson_guy, Jul 9, 1:38am
Subject to stringent 6 monthly cof just the same as the truck. I would far far rather pull a trailer with discs than one with drums.

a.woodrow, Jul 9, 6:10am
So why are drums still in mainstream use? Only people mover type suvs etc have disc rear end. Virtually all the utes, i.e. vehicles that can carry a load, still run drums. Why do you think that is?

henderson_guy, Jul 9, 6:15am
Since I don't work for any of the manufacturers, I can't tell you. My inclination would be leaning towards cost. They can obviously handle the weight since they use them on 44ton+ combinations (which was my original point).