2007 Ford Ranger done 315,000kms

pf, Jul 12, 9:05am
looking at a cheapish tow vehicle . what are the 3L TD engines like at higher kms assuming regular servicing ?

thejazzpianoma, Jul 12, 9:19am
Unless it's like 5K I simply wouldn't go there. If your budget is a bit over 10K you can do much better for a tow vehicle. Especially if it doesn't specifically have to be a Ute.

monaro17, Jul 12, 9:20am
Yes what is cheapish to you? With those kms I would be very hesitant paying too much for a vehicle regardless of what it is

franc123, Jul 12, 9:26am
Do you need a ute tray most days of the week, what are you wanting to tow, where are you wanting to tow it and how often? Someone else's very used ute is not usually the most economic solution. The engines are OK if had good oil and filters AND coolant renewal but they're only one part of a vehicle, gearbox, diff, steering and suspension wear could be creeping in by now and costing,

pf, Jul 12, 10:16am
it's ex company vehicle, manual, 2wd, $8500 . to tow rally car occasionally and could end up to be daily driver . been looking at Nissan Patrols but they are 1990's for similar price and I don't really need 4wd .

chital_14, Jul 12, 10:01pm
Used to own a 07 2wd ranger (4wd height though), done 270thou is. Drove amazingly, never had an issue with it. Owned it for just under 2yrs and it ran like a dream the entire time. Was ex company with service history as well.

Only downside we found when towing was that it was too light in the front. Used to tow my partners skyline with it, plently of power but weight wasn't well balanced just needed a bit more in front to balance out.

Sold it for 14.2k a year ago.

poppajn, Jul 13, 8:57am
Gearbox could be your problem with towing, our's blew at 185,000, never towed a thing in it's life.

skiff1, Jul 13, 8:34pm
Mines done 240k now. Gearbox and clutch no problem, and I regularly tow 2-3 tonne. Engine nuked at 220k due to rotten EGR valve. Pissed off with ford's response. But it totality it's been a bloody good ute.

jason_247, Feb 7, 12:23am
With good maintenance they should fair well.

At that age i would be looking at getting all the fluids changed, diff gearbox powersteering etc.

If its a model equipped with a Diesel particulate filter you should give it a proper clean. liquimoly and others do a spray that goes in through an o2 port and breaks down much of the harder crap.

in regards to DPF and EGRs it wouldnt hurt to get a proper scan done as part of pre purchase checks.

Also be mindful that the clutch will no doubt be a dual mass setup so if it ever need replacing they can often crack $1000 in parts.

I would go for one of these over a 90s low km version. parts are easy to get so worst case if it lunched a box or engine its not going to be mega dollars to fix