YAY Ford ranger kicked

Page 1 / 2
3tomany, Jan 8, 9:01am
hilux butt 32 years of discounting toyota trucks, ranger was always going to get em one day http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cars/news/article.cfm?c_id=142&objectid=11382194

golfdiver, Jan 8, 9:04am
Anything to do with the commonly held opinion that the Ranger craps all over the Hilux in every facet?

3tomany, Jan 8, 9:05am
hell yea

jmma, Jan 8, 9:19am
Have your day in the sun, enjoy it while you can.
1 year, only 31 more to go (o:

marmar1, Jan 8, 3:39pm
hilux for girls, Rangers for men.

stuart, Jan 8, 4:37pm
I have a Ranger.
The one thing that annoys the hell out of me is the aux power supply (formerly known as the cigarette lighter socket)
Power to it 24/7.
Means I have to physically unplug my dvr when I park up.(truck sometimes doesnt get driven for weeks.)

survivalkiwi, Jan 8, 5:26pm
That sounds like the ultimate first world problem.
It was not that long a go that if you had a ute you were lucky to get a cigarette lighter. And as for things like power steering, electric windows, leather seats or cloth ones for that matter, trip computer, reversing cameras electric mirrors and the list goes on . 30 years ago who would have thought that a good old ute would end up being better equipped than a European luxury car.

zephyrheaven, Jan 8, 8:31pm
Got mine xmas eve - did a 1000km in 6 days with our 3 & 6 year olds very comfy and effortless driving

lookoutas, Jan 8, 9:03pm
And if it turns off with the key - ya can't leave the bloody phone on charge!

They should have one of each.

Why aren't they as smart as me?

esprit, Jan 8, 9:03pm
Check the fuse circuit for it. In many modern cars (my '99 Peugeot has this) you can move the cig lighter fuse in the fuse box to two positions. In one position it's always powered, in the other position it comes on and off with the ignition. You can also do the same with the radio circuit, which can come in handy.

stuart, Jan 8, 9:14pm
Agree! and who would have thought a Automatic transmission in a ute would be popular let alone sought after.

stuart, Jan 8, 9:16pm
I will have a look but this electrical system is a little too sophisticated for my liking - I have been warned not to tutu with it - otherwise the engine management system might counteract with an inballance.

stuart, Jan 8, 9:19pm
Yes agree.

3tomany, Jan 8, 10:29pm
I also agree being able to charge phone while it is off is good but having the gps not turn itself off is a pain although I drive mine every day so never had a flat battery yet ''touch wood''

survivalkiwi, Jan 9, 12:30am
Must be a delux model. You know the one with the arm rests on the door.

bwg11, Jan 9, 2:51am
Rangers drive like car, no wonder they are so popular with tradies on tarmac, but guess the top selling 4 x 4 ute? No chocolate fish either.

survivalkiwi, Jan 9, 4:39am
It will be interesting who wins this year with a new Hilux, New Nissan and a new Triton.

brapbrap8, Jan 9, 6:49am
Don't forget that the Ranger, BT50 and Amarok will be facelifted.
Hopefully Toyota is aiming to make the new Hilux much better than the current Ranger, or it will be behind the pack again about as soon as it is released.

franc123, Jan 9, 9:15am
I think both Toyota AND Ford/Mazda, and to an extent the other ute manufacturers still need to prove long term that their products are as tough as the Utes Of Old, there's been a bit too much fancy technology hung on smallish highly stressed engines in the highest kW/towing weight w@nkathon that they are all taking part in IMO. There are a few too many late Rangers sitting in dealership service dept yards up and down the country with bonnets off and looking a bit light in the front for my liking.

jon9, Jan 9, 9:26am
if you buy a Ranger start pricing up gearboxes. I know a large NZ contracting company has a 80% failure rate on gearboxes and they have 74 Rangers NZ wide. One with 80,000km is on its 3rd box already

marmar1, Jan 9, 2:20pm
Is that because like our place the guys who drive them treat them like shite?.

franc123, Jan 9, 10:51pm
They'll be covered by warranty unless there has been clear cases of abuse going on, repeat failure in one vehicle is VERY suspicious and puts whoever is driving it under scrutiny. It would be interesting to see what has actually been happening. Might be time to spend the bucks and upgrade to a genuine form of rugged transport in the form of Landcruiser or Patrol lol.

jon9, Jan 10, 6:44am
Just saying reliability wise I'd rather be in a Toyota than a Ford. Saw a new D Max Isuzu today they look nice from the front.

rovercitroen, Jan 10, 6:51am
I know of a late 2000s Mazda BT50 that had to have a manual gearbox replaced at about a year or so old. Not uncommon he was told by the Mazda people.

3tomany, Jan 10, 8:59am
I to know off someone who did a gearbox but recently went to a ranger function held by the local ford dealer, with hundreds of ranger owners participating and chewing the fat over a beer [AKA truth serum] no one had major complaints about reliability. Some customers had traded large fleets of Toyotas on the ranger and could not wait to get the rest of there rangers.