Motorbike license

sw20, Feb 7, 11:57pm
Phone up your local motorcycle instructor and book in for a two hour basic handling cert course. They will put you on a GN125 and start from scratch getting you starting, stopping, then turning, linking turns, head checking etc then run you through the test.

sw20, Feb 8, 12:04am
Once you have got your basic handling certificate from the motorcycle instructor, you study the road code, do online tests to familiarise yourself with the tests, then head down to a testing agent like AA or whoever and sit the multi choice test. If you pass, you then have your motorcycle learner licence.

kazbanz, Feb 8, 12:36am
Your issue isn't going to be road awareness as you've been riding awhile and the same applies to indicators etc.youll also have an awareness of throttle control -ALL of which are a big headstart on most people.
So if it was me I'd see if I could borrow a little trail bike like a small wheel dr125 or an xl100 etc. and go out to the kids part of the local trail bike area. Preferably the bike should be a bit on the small size.
Go with someone who rides and learn the basics of clutch/throttle/gears
That means you can spend as long as you like getting used to a clutch and gears. it also means if you muck it up at all you just step off the bike.They are built for minor stuff like that.
You don't need any form of licence to ride a trail bike so you can go as often as you like.
Then I would go do my basic skills/handling test and get my learners as sw20 suggested.
the combination of your scooter experience and some time on a trail bike would make you a pretty good rider.

quickbuck, Feb 8, 1:35am
www.prorider.co.nz
Talk to Karel, she will guide you through the process and ensure you get the appropriate skills too.

Kazbaz's idea is pretty good too to get some bike control skills. You will need instruction to get the most out of it though. Real hard to work out what you are doing wrong without it.

kazbanz, Feb 8, 4:43am
Quickbuck. that takes me back. Crikey I remember chasing Carol around -and being chased by her on the tracks all around New Zealand.
Funny thing was I ended up owning the XJ900 she used to tow her TZR250 round the country back in the mid 1980's

quickbuck, Feb 8, 7:33am
Yes, it is a pretty small community. That XJ has legend status now. ;)

kazbanz, Jun 29, 7:01pm
Yep well one member of the community is having his first outing rejoining.
"he" will be out at HD on a harris gixxer600 k7 and 750k9