Any Audi buffs out there?

clanky, May 8, 7:20pm
Interesting snag appeared yesterday. Had just cleaned out the throttle body and idle control valve to try to sort out a slight over-revving problem. Started it up and now it's idling at 3500 rpm! Recommended figure is 750. Also, during a test drive, it wouldn't drop below 3500 rpm unless under load. As soon as the clutch went in, back up to 3500. Also, there is a sensor on the aft end of the left hand bank (V6) which is a little loose. Does anyone have any idea what it is for? Any ideas on the over-revving and the sensor?

clanky, May 8, 7:20pm
BTW, it's a '96, A4 2.6 V6 quattro.

thejazzpianoma, May 8, 7:38pm
My specific knowledge doesn't really stretch back that far clanky, but in general I would say you would still likely need to do a throttle position sensor adaptation after cleaning the throttle body.

The catch is, do you have VCDS or access to a fairly advanced scan tool?

Perhaps have a google and see if there is a way of manually instigating it. Also it would be worth checking out VCDS and organising a cable etc even if just for next time around (I haven't used VCDS on something so old but assume it works and there is an affordable cable option).

With regard to the sensor, can't remember on one that old, possibly a manifold vauum sensor if it's going in to the intake, but had a feeling those ran a MAF instead. Either way, I would suggest grabbing your can of MAF cleaner and giving a gentle/careful squirt around the sensor while the car is running, if you detect a change in engine note, it may be the source of a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak would also cause a high idle, but I am not really expecting this to be the cause after a throttle body clean. Obviously be ready for a fireball if the MAF cleaner hits a source of ignition, fire extinguisher and/or water bucket at the ready!

Also, check you have plugged in the idle air control valve etc securely.

BTW, I would offer to reset it for you but I only have microcan which only does later VW's

Hope that helps, others may have some other ideas too, but the TPS reset would be my first starting point.

intrade, May 9, 2:53am
first of all a mass airflow has 0 to do with idle , but more inportant is to look if it even has obd2 because 96 was the year obd2 was introduced , it wont have adaption learning if it is not obd2 and even then early stuff did not have things like that its more like a other problem like idle air bypass or a stuck open intake throttle butter fly or there like causing this problem on a old vehicle like this

clanky, May 9, 5:54am
Thanks to all. The Idle control valve was stuck open and has seen better days. A replacement is on its way as soon as possible. I did manage to get things sorthed out, but the ICV is very iffy.

tamarillo, May 12, 11:01am
Just saw this thread. For what it's worth when audidoctor cleaned out the throttle body on mine he had to plug it in and reset something or other as per jazz post. I understood it was necessary and he commented that if I'd have tried to do it myself I would have had to bring it down for this anyway.
Hope you get it sorted.

intrade, Feb 1, 9:51am