What are Motorcross gear requirements?

jayblogg1, May 26, 10:45am
My son loves motorcross and has raced in a few races over last few years.
He has decided that he races faster and better without his neck brace - is this a good parenting move to support this decision.
He is 15.

Please help as I feel it's the wrong thing for him to do but have no info to support my opinion.

321mat, May 26, 10:54am
Just a side point, bones are not fully set (in form) until you're about 18 years old, so the continual pounding from impacts may deform ankle and knee joints, which could lead to mobility problems sooner, rather that later, in life.

321mat, May 26, 10:55am
Also, make sure his helmet is SNELL Certified.
That's the best protection of all against a head injury.

jayblogg1, May 26, 10:56am
Thank you 321mat

321mat, May 26, 10:57am
And, if you're worried about spending $1000 on an Arai, Shoei, or Bell helmet - which all have Snell Certification, then maybe you should reconsider where your priorities are.

321mat, May 26, 10:59am
You're welcome. I'm pleased that he like motocross - or scrambles as those of us older still remember it to be called.
But, take care of your sons head. The penalty for skimping on cost could be devastating for your family.
A good helmet really is the cheapest form of life insurance there is on a motorcycle.

whqqsh, May 26, 6:22pm
the old adage $10 helmet - $10 head, springs to mind as does with any safety gear (or the lack of using it altogether)

sr2, May 26, 10:13pm
I'm interested in where this pearl of wisdom came from?

321mat, May 27, 12:01am
It's actually common medical knowledge. Any reputable human physiology book will tell you as much.

kazbanz, May 27, 12:12am
if he races faster without his neck brace then I'd suggest looking at the fit of the brace.If he wants to see what happens racing without a brace then Im happy to introduce him to a few of my friends. They ALL found out the hard way what racing without the best gear they could afford cost them.
Im guessing though that he is now racing in first place for million dollar purses.
If he is then heck maybe its worth the risk.
Yep the last comment was sarcasm. End up in a wheelchair for a $20 trophy. hardly clever.

serf407, May 27, 12:31am
I would suggest the young motocrosser studies why the neck brace was invented in the first place and why the top riders wear them.
http://www.leatt.com/
I know for the WRC rally drivers when HANS was introduced it was a case of adapting to the HANS and getting used it, so the HANS did not affect their stage times.

321mat, May 27, 12:32am
And remember, if something bad happens, you'll be dealing with the governing body - Motorcycling New Zealand, . well, you'll need to judge for yourself what their ethics are like in dealing with severe injuries.
You really should be asking, are they acting in the best interests of my son, or for themselves.

sr2, May 27, 12:42am
Having ridden off road for some 30 odd years and having played other sports in the past I'd suggest that (barring accidents) the "pounding from impacts" in Motorcross is comparable if not less than those encountered on the rugby field or athletics track. If you were correct in your assumption, surely a large proportion or our population would be suffering from what you describe as "mobility problems sooner, rather that later, in life"?

Re the OP's original question, I couldn't agree with Kaz more. You need to be wearing the best gear you can afford (beg, borrow, buy, steal,. etc.) every time you ride.

oliver6, May 27, 9:35am
I know that quite a few young guys racing cross country in USA including some New Zealanders have stopped wearing them, Some of them think they are awkward, and some think they break their collar bones too easily.
When I feel how it stops my neck hyper extending, I think it is a good safety extra.
I have been wearing one off road for about 4 years, and even though I have got used to it, I sometimes leave it off as by the time I have geared up on a hot day with armour, hydrapack, tool belt etc it seems like too much effort. However once I'm on the bike and riding I don't notice it.
I now wear it for adventure riding. Tomorrow I am heading south for 6 days of gravel roads and tracks, and will wear my brace.
Some of my riding companions think it looks a bit dorky, and some think it looks OK as it is colour matched to my bike and looks professional. I can't see it, or feel it so I'll keep using it.

serf407, May 27, 9:55am
Good enough for Marc Coma.
https://youtu.be/dwSCS0LOxH4

oliver6, Sep 8, 9:05am
Great video. My bike looks just like that but doesn't seem to get around at those speeds. I have taken it to Chile and Argentina so I could almost be Marc