New gear box?

hanijami, Apr 18, 11:18am
Hi we have been told my hubbys car needs a new gear box it is a Suzuki sf310gl or something like that. Does anyone know if it is worth fixing and how much roughtly it would cost as in $200 or more like $2000 we are on a very tight budget but thought someone here might know
Thanks for your time

hanijami, Apr 18, 11:37am
well we are guessing it is the gear box from what the WOF place said. when he changes gears even with his foot flat on the floor with the clutch it grins and makes noises as it is going into gear but then is ok until you change gear again. Its a 1994 mannual, but we really cant afford to buy him a new car so was wondering about getting the gear box fixed or replaced. thanks

aredwood, Apr 18, 11:42am
Check the clutch. If it is not releasing fully the gearbox will do exactly what you are describing. If it is a cable clutch it might be as simple as getting the cable adjusted.

franc123, Apr 18, 11:46am
It definitely is more like a clutch problem. Was this wof place a proper garage or repair shop or a testing station?

hanijami, Apr 18, 11:53am
It was a WOF / repair shop.

hanijami, Apr 18, 11:56am
Ok so if I go to a new place to get it checked will they check the clutch if we get a service done on it? Sorry I don't know much about what they do in services

franc123, Apr 18, 11:57am
They should know the clutch, or its cable or hydraulics which ever applies is suspect first before condemning the gearbox! Good grief. Forget about servicing at this point and get the clutch system checked.

hanijami, Apr 18, 12:01pm
Ok thank you :)

monzaman, Apr 18, 12:13pm
If grinding noise only occurs when clutch pedal is depressed-down it will likely be the release bearing which pushes on rotating pressure plate enough to disengage clutch from engine,or pos worn clutch plate centre is contacting flywheel bolts,get that diagnosed before getting service done as gearbox needs removing anyway to fix those.

str81, Apr 18, 1:16pm
^ Thrust Bearing

snoopy221, Apr 18, 2:41pm
SHEESH - IN TRADE -here i ya truster brbg-lol

bjmh, Apr 18, 9:27pm
hanijami . when you push the clutch pedal in ,does it feel loose. no pressure on your foot ?

kazbanz, Apr 18, 9:37pm
Could you please be more specific as to the year/make /model of the car?
The reason I ask is that you want to know if its "worth" fixing but without that information we can't offer educated advice first as to how much itst could cost to fix and second if its worth the effort.

skin1235, Apr 19, 12:46am
broken compression ring on pressure plate,, while its out you may as wel replace the plate as well, and may need a skim on the flywheel
all cost money, I'd slide under and drop the box ( 1 hr ) and go from there
could be 250 for new pressure plate and clutch plate, another 200 for a skim ( you'd have to take the flywheel off )

mechnificent, Apr 19, 1:44am
And it's also possible that the garage has detected that the failing clutch has damaged the synchro rings or damaged a gear. I'd try to get someone to ascertain the condition of the clutch and the gearbox as separate things and then decide if it's worth doing the clutch, or gearbox, or both.

alfred011, Mar 6, 2:49am
Flywheel skim would be $75 max undo the gearbox drainplug after the vehicle has sat for a while pull the plug ont put finger over drain hole and see how much metal is on the plug this would indicate bearing or gear failure straight away if noise only happens with clutch pushed in and gearbox in neutral problem would have to be thrust bearing shot.