3.1 diesel bighorn - what is this part?

flyjames, May 9, 6:35am
bighorn went pop today and i thought it was the worst. have pulled off intercooler, hoses etc and whew! found a manageable hole in metal pipe that holds all the hoses. can anyone tell me this part name please?
not sure how to download pics here so have added it as my profile pic. also. the rubber hoses are all really filled with rust. what is the best way to flush all this without killing my motor? Thanks :)

franc123, May 9, 6:54am
Heater feed and return pipes, if these are rotted through then you have major corrosion issues in the cooling system. Its all going to have to be flushed out, probably several times, until the water runs clean , and then after that prepare to replace more parts of the cooling system. Once you think you have it reasonably clean then remove the radiator for a proper cleaning of the tubes (rad shop job) flush the rest of the system once more, refit it and fill with antifreeze at a lowish concentration and keep a close eye on it all for leaks.

flyjames, May 9, 6:57am
:( crap. it's sounding expensive! :( thanks franc

dasfi, May 9, 6:58am
It pays to take care of cooling system before it gets to this stage

flyjames, May 9, 6:59am
yup. only got wagon three weeks ago. :(

flyjames, May 9, 7:00am
it's only slightly bigger than a pin hole underneath. rest of the pipes look good.

flyjames, May 9, 7:01am
would it explain the air con/heater fuse continually blowing? or is that a completely seperate issue? thanks again

intrade, May 9, 7:11am
i would say the aircon fuse is a different issue and upload to iforce for larger immages and post link here.
http://www.iforce.co.nz/

franc123, May 9, 7:15am
What did the coolant look like? Did the prepurchase inspection you got not reveal there might be problems with it?

flyjames, May 9, 7:16am

flyjames, May 9, 7:17am

flyjames, May 9, 7:18am
was thinking I could take it to engineering shop tomorrow and see if they can weld it. is it weldable?

flyjames, May 9, 7:19am
lol. no pre purchase inspection franc. guy was legit. chatted to him today about it and he said it's never given him grief. but there wasn't coolant in it. serviced by a shop regularly though and still has about another 3000 km left before next service due. should've been coolant in it then aye.

franc123, May 9, 7:22am
Probably not weldable, if its rotted through in one place the metal is probably very thin in other places too. Good luck, you are going to need it. Buying uninspected vehicles can be very risky for exactly this sort of reason, you MUST be verifying they have had reasonable all round maintenance carried out, this is more than oil and filter changes down the local garage, coolant and auto trans fluid changes are equally important, in fact these are the very first things that should be checked before buying, these are the best indicators of how its really been treated.

intrade, May 9, 7:26am
they can braze solder tin it i had something like this on my fiat i cleaned it and had about 8 of these holes brazed em all up tested in a bucket of water and compressed air befor i refitted it

flyjames, May 9, 7:28am
thanks intrade. i've heard this engineer is pretty useless air testing (uses a hand pump. lol). so i'll definitely get well pressure tested before re-installing. pig of a job getting it out. don't want to have to do it again. thanks for the advice and help.

franc123, May 9, 7:32am
No need to go overboard, if it can hold 20psi it will be OK. The question is how long it will last for.

flyjames, May 9, 7:44am
thanks franc. appreciate the advice

alfred011, May 10, 9:30am
Replace them with rubber heater hose and brass joiners it will solve the problem, if they are that corroded you will be wasting time and money fixing them .

flyjames, May 11, 12:36am
that is definitely a good idea Alfred. took to engineer and he brazed it but it won't last long. have whipped it back in so i have a wagon this week but will definitely be altering it asap. engineer knew exactly what vehicle it had come off as he's had to repair a few of them now. stupid design Isuzu. :(

franc123, Feb 3, 5:49pm
The corrosion doesn't happen if you do your three year coolant changes like you are supposed to, but that's blank look territory for most people.