Toyota has voices talking when turn on motor

Page 1 / 2
rayj, Mar 12, 10:53pm
Hi
Brought a Japanese Toyota and when the push button on off switch is pressed the motor starts then there are 2 voices speaking in Japanese. Very annoying
Is this part of the DVD CD GPS system ? or is it something else.?
I'm sure there are plenty of Toyotas out there doing the same
Just don't want to replace the DVD player $500 and find it is something else.
Thanks

andy61, Mar 12, 11:28pm
Is there a ETC system? a slot for a credit card used for Electronic toll collection in Japan, if so look at back of the slot and unplug the wires, instant silence from one of the noise source, as for the navigation cant help on that one.

toomuch3, Mar 13, 12:33am
I had this with my Mazda. Next to the vanity mirror above the driver there was a roof cavity which hid a wee hard drive looking thing. Just pulled the wires and all is silent.

toomuch3, Mar 13, 12:44am
PS Any clues on how to turn the missus and kids off - they do the same thing

robotnik, Mar 13, 12:54am
A Japanese women keeps asking me to insert my toll card. Will have to get one next time I am in Japan. You need a Japanese bank account to get a issued with a toll card, so it could be quite a hassle actually!

tamarillo, Mar 13, 1:36am
Did you marry her?

kazbanz, Mar 13, 2:26am
Rayj--EXACTLY what car do you own?
Please be as precise as you can be. also does the car have a reversing camera? Does it have the Jap GPS screen ?
I can give you a step by step on how to sort the car out but I need this information.

stevo2, Mar 13, 2:49am
Kaz, you would be the legend (once again) if you could get that lady to shuddup on my sons 04 Fielder 1.8lt (the upmarket one).
It has the Double Din CD,Sat Nav, TV, HDD etc. He will be back from Gizzy this weekend so I could have a look at it for him then.
Cheers Stevo

kazbanz, Mar 13, 3:07am
stevo--VERY important question--reverse camera or not?
if yes then does he use it?

stevo2, Mar 13, 3:19am
No reverse camera, just proximity sensors for the beepers.
It has some kind of microphone or small speaker on top of the steering column

rayj, Mar 13, 3:31am
Hi Kazbanz.
I have a 2005 Toyota Ractis 1500cc has Japanese GPS, DVD, AM FM
radio,reversing camera. etc There is a gps aerial on the dashboard.
I managed to cut one of the wires to the electronic ticket collecting devise and that has stopped one voice.
If I can't turn this lady off if I replace the dvd gps reversing camera with a NZ DVD will this stop this annoying lady.
I have installed backing beepers but the other Japanese lady was talking before I did that.
Thanks

rayj, Mar 13, 3:32am
Thanks mate I found that devise cut the wires and now one has stopped. All I need to do now is stop the other annoying lady.

kazbanz, Mar 13, 4:11am
Rayj just bear with me Im doing stevo's one first then I'll do yours ok?

kazbanz, Mar 13, 5:58am
Stevo
This is how you shut her up. have a look at the picture.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/369600718.jpg You see the radio has a plastic facia around it. In line with that facia are two slim trims that go from it out to the side of the car. Gently pull on the facia and it will start to pull away. Only pull it out about 12-15mm. That will be enough to start to pull the slim trims away from the dash. From the cenre outwards pop the wood trims out and off the clips. Holding them.??

kazbanz, Mar 13, 6:17am
Rayj your radio is almost identical to stevos but a lot easier to get into
read through what I posted for him but start by
unscrew the gearshift knob.
gently remove the bottom silver trim with the Ac controls in it.
Again its best practice to unplug all the wires etc but you can usually slip it down and away enough to get access to the radio trim.
Take the trim from round the radio.
Almost identical radio extraction method to steves.
Unplug all the wires same as for steve BUT --very important
DO NOT under any circumstances unplug the two big plugs. -or you'll need a reboot disk.
Now for you the tricky bit--the reverse camera wont be working.
Now Toyota cameras are a 4 wire system. so of the plugs you unplugged try plugging in one of the four pin plugs you unplugged.-most likely the flat grey one.
slide the radio back in and start the car--put it into reverse and the reverse camera either will or won't work--if it does button her up you are finished--if not then unplug that one and plug in the square white 4 pin plug.
sorry but theres a bit of variation there so its a matter of trial and error to get the right one--you won't do any damage so don't worry.

rayj, Mar 13, 6:19am
Thanks Kazbanz

kazbanz, Mar 13, 6:23am
dang it --I coulda fixed BOTH radios in the time this took me to type out

stevo2, Mar 13, 7:49am
Thanks Kaz, as always - you are the legend.
Will give it a go in the weekend.
ps, whats the microphone/speaker on the steering column?

kazbanz, Mar 13, 8:10am
Its for the "Bluetooth" --just cut the wire and ditch it.

snoopy221, Mar 13, 9:53am
Legend-forget the db.
send dat man sm jack. lol

rayj, Mar 13, 9:24pm
Thanks for that information.
Have you any ideas what the voice on startup would be talking about? and a new DVD entertainment system is needed?
This would then solve my talking Japanese lady forever? I hope?.
I to have the Bluetooth speaker on the dashboard and a button by the steering column shall I just cut the wires to that also and remove.
I have a GPS gizmo on the dashboard also shall I just cut the wires to that and remove also?
Thanks for your great help

tamarillo, Mar 13, 10:35pm
Bloody heLl kabanz, that's beyond the call of duty! Someone buy a car off this person immediately!

genkii, Mar 14, 12:58am
I get told what the date and day of the week is every day! By my car that is!

mike1345, Mar 14, 2:53am
You didn't buy KITT's Japanese relative did you?

I will never own a car that talks.

stevo2, Mar 14, 3:17am
If you were a long time poster on this board, you would know that Kaz IS a LEGEND, always offering GOOD advice and asking nothing in return.
So many of the other legends have drifted away over the years but kaz has stuck around we hope he will stay for a long time yet.