Toyota Prado licensing costs?

Page 1 / 2
nathanmac, Jan 31, 3:31am
We're looking at upsizing to a Toyota Prado so are pricing up running costs etc.What licensing category do they fit into - just the normal passenger car category!

gadgit3, Jan 31, 4:23am
$596/year for licensing. For a Diesel and $333 for a petrol.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 4:25am
So they do fit into the goods truck etc category!Thanks for the info.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:26am
Not cheap to buy, not cheap to run, not cheap to service. Unless you absolutely have to have high ground clearance and 4WD they are not a vehicle for the financially conscious.

gadgit3, Jan 31, 4:28am
Sorry screwed that up $417.61 for a year. banged in the rego of the hilux on the lot insted of the Prado sitting next to it lol

nathanmac, Jan 31, 4:29am
Appreciate the info, but we seem to fall into a bit of a gap with what we are looking for - we seem to do a little bit of everything, with the added need for 7 seat seats later this year.Prados seem to tick just one more box than everything else.However it's the running costs we are now looking at to see how much that extra box is going to cost.

Cheers.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:31am
Yes, I know it can be tricky getting a good all rounder. Trouble is with those older Japanese 4WD's is there is very little competition and their diesel technology is old and inefficient.

Whats the budget if you don't mind me asking!
Are you actually going to take it off road or is it more towing etc that you will do!

EDIT, remember with the likes of the 1KZ Diesel etc you are looking at 6 litres of diesel oil every 7500km (assuming you want it to last) so factor that in along with the oil filter etc. Also consider that even though they are diesel they are quite thirsty diesels, its these kind of vehicles that often have no cost advantage with going to the diesel engine.

Oh and if you are towing with the likes of those Toyota Diesels be very aware that the chance of a cracked head is high. Thats a good $4000 to replace.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 4:32am
Ahh that's a little more palatable.I don't clearly understand the newer fees to be able to say what they fitted into for sure.Our current Hilux fits in the ute category despite being 100% private use.

phillip.weston, Jan 31, 4:34am
I completely agree. Toyota Tax at its best.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:34am
Added some to my post for you.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:36am
I did a spreadsheet recently for a friend who was looking to use one to commute to work. Those running costs add up even before you get to the obscene pricetag for even a 20 year old one.
Also poster 1, don't forget to consider the safety (or lack of) not very flash at all for something you are going to carry your kids around in. (Assuming thats what you are filling the seats with. I assume it won't be hot young women given what it is. you need a multipla for that)

msigg, Jan 31, 4:38am
Good wagon if you have a use for it, those motors will last well only if your cooling system is up to scratch, ie get radiator checked for blockages.
If you can do your own servicing its alot cheaper, go to BNT and buy 20ltrs fuchs oil, if you use take home packs its dearer. All the best.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 4:41am
Yes these are the things we are looking at currently.

As far as running costs go (according to the best info I can find) it looks as though there will be a very slight saving by going to a diesel, so it's almost negligible.

However having driven a petrol and a diesel in the last couple of days the diesel felt better.Although the petrol seemed smoother it would probably lose out once we hooked up the caravan.

It would really be an urban off roader with occasional fishing trips etc, but when the mother in law arrives the extra seat will be handy.

And that's where we might just have to pay the said Toyota tax, as everything else we've looked at with the extra seating has been a bit inadequate or inflexible.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:46am
For what you are doing I think you can get HEAPS better for your money. The saving grace is that it sounds like you don't actually need the extra ride height.
Also, I definitely wouldn't want to use one for towing. Sure having the cooling system in perfect working condition helps but its no guarantee. I have a good friend who is a Toyota mechanic nutter who absolutely baby's his and goes to crazy lenghs of over maintenance. Yet both of his and both of those of his worker have cracked heads.

Its a design fault, the courier vans etc often get away with it for ages because they don't tow anything heavy over hills. Once you do that its often all over. We are not talking a little bit of risk of it happening, if you tow its pretty much a given that at some stage you will have to replace the head. So be prepared and comfortable with the $4000 repair. The good news though is they do tend to last a while after you replace the head.

Are you needing 7 seats all the time or would 5 seats with a fold out dicky seat suit! (Still giving you 7 seats but the extra two are best for occasional use as not that comfortable or practical)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:51am
Often a really good yardstick is a Volvo XC70. You can pick up a nice tidy one for about $7000, so long as you service the transmission they are very reliable. You also get sensible oil change intervals, great safety, more power, comfort, features etc

The running costs are significantly less, you are looking at a good third less fuel in a petrol one, then factor in the cheaper servicing and cheap buy price and they start looking pretty good. Still got the 4WD and quite happy on the gravel or beach.

Some XC70's have the fold out dicky seat hence the question.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 4:55am
We need versatility.Once a month we do400km-ish day trip with 6 of us including the wife's mother in law.A couple of times a year when her parents are down there are 7 of us (well soon will be 7) with all the associated stuff you have to carry for that age and size of group.

We need something that can tow a caravan (lightweight admittedly) a couple of times a year, plus tow a salvage trailer from time to time.So not much towing but enough to want the extra grunt.

The ride height of the Prado is a negative for us - that's the overkill we don't really need, although we'll be a ble to get to a few more of the fishing spots I used to go to as a kid with one.

Your $4000 head replacement probably includes getting a garage to do it - something like that I would be doing myself (I'm a little bit capable, but you'll just have to take my word for that).

msigg, Jan 31, 4:59am
He can't be too good a mechanic if he has two and they both have cracked heads. Wouldn't want to go see him. They do tow good, but hey you must get them checked out. But I don,t own one, I wouldn't mind one though but my Nissan won't die and I don't want it to either. Also check out some of the other brands, hyundai etc. The 4x4 will be slightly dearer to run than a car, depends how much you want one. I love mine, each to there own. Good luck and do lots more research. Take these threads with a grain of salt. All the best.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 4:59am
There's a silver one of those locally I briefly looked at, but the extra seating isn't really adequate.I like the idea of a wagon with extra seating but I haven't seen one that really fits with what we would like.Since riding the Napier Taupo road in the back of FIL's new Landcruiser with a HEAP of gear (including fishing rods etc) I like the way the extra seating is arranged in those Toyotas.And surprisingly the Prado doesn't feel much smaller when I sit in the back than a 'Cruiser (and I'm pushing 6ft).

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 5:01am
Yes, doing the head gasket yourself would help, not a hard job but you are still going to be in the $1000 - $2000 price range (someone else could tell you exactly) as you need to use a brand new head or you are wasting your time. The 7500km service interval gets annoying in my opinion but again if you do it yourself it helps.

I can see where you are coming from with the people. Its a tricky one with the monthly trip I think that would rule out the Volvo.

I am wondering about a Touran, especially the Diesel one. Like you say the caravan is not that huge and in terms of grunt the Touran has plenty. Its also exceptionally forgiving around town for fuel economy. Great safety and very nice to drive. If you were not going huge distance with a massive load on the recovery trailer it may be O.K.

You are 2WD though but its sounding like that may not matter so much.

Another thought is the VW Sharan which has the beasty VR6 Golf motor, they are not as economical as the newer Touran but are going to better than the Prado and are capable with the towing. You can get a really mint example say 2002 model for about 7K. They don't come up every day though.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 5:02am
Ta.To be honest the advice from those I nomally ask has been Prado.Only been looking a week or so and got a couple of months to get something sorted so nothing is set in stone.Except my better half has driven one and made up her mind.

Also it is a step up in running costs over our 2wd Hilux so don't want to cut into my early Ford Pickup resto funds too much.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 5:02am
I agree as per the above post. Unfortunately the Volvo Idea isn't really going to fly.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 5:09am
I will leave it with you at that, sorry to hijack your thread. Others may have some further suggestions. Sometimes you just have to pay the Toyota Tax but its good to thrash out and price up all the options first. Good on you for taking the time to do your own math. most don't bother and often waste a fortune.

nathanmac, Jan 31, 5:14am
Appreciate the suggestions, I haven't seen any of those Merc's down here, but they look a little small in the back (when we travel it is impossible for my wife to leave anything behind that isn't actually affixed to the house).

The touran might be ok-ish if it had a slightly more powerful engine and didn't look so much like a people mover.But I'll try find one to eyeball and see how the fit is before casting judgement.

Cheers.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 5:21am
I think you would be surprised at the Touran in the power department, especially the Diesel one. I would go for the 2.0 Diesel if you find the 2.0 Petrol lacking.
Remember this is the ultra efficient 2.0 FSI and you have zero loss of power with the 6 Speed DSG box. Certainly in day to day running they get out and boogy and would leave the Prado well behind. Loaded up with the recovery trailer I am not sure, I havn't towed anything big with the 2.0 FSI, I think the Diesel would do very well though. (remember these are common rail so a 2.0 is at least as good as a 3.0 old school diesel when loaded up and much more responsive for passing etc).

My only concern with the Towing was more the weight/size of the Touran as they are not a big heavy vehicle.

Worth an eyeball as they are a million times more suitable for the day to day stuff, I do appreciate though the heavy towing may be a compromise.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 5:26am
This may be of interest.
Ignore the posts for the 1.9 Diesel, I wouldn't recommend one of those as they are well down on grunt compared to the 2.0 Diesel.
BTW, the Touran 2.0 should use less than half the Diesel the Prado would so a huge difference in running cost. Likewise the oil change interval will be crazy, something like 30'000km/2 years (not joking).
So yes if it suited you would save a fortune. Cheap to buy too, you can pick up a really nice 2004 one for about 12K with a sharp eye.

http://www.towcar.info/gebruikservaring.php!merk=Volkswagen&serie=Touran