Auto sparkies to scan car in chch.

ferrarigirl, May 14, 4:04am
I'm guessing the prices are all pretty much the same around the place? Been quoted 50 bucks which is fine but want to make sure they are reputable. Has anyone used 1 recently who has been good? By good I mean found the issues present not just made some up to get more money out of you lol. TIA

poppajn, May 14, 4:11am
They can't make it up, scan show's the fault's clearly.

ferrarigirl, May 14, 4:15am
Ok cheers. Know nothing about it, obviously! lol. First car I've had that has needed it.

pandai, May 14, 4:29am
$14 at supercheap, if you only want to know the fault code and don't necessarily want it fixed yet. $28 if you want them to reset it too. Assuming you have a check engine light on and it's not some sort of other diagnosis you are after.

bigfatmat1, May 14, 4:58am
Vantage auto electrical. wide range oem gear and very clever people.
http://www.vantageauto.co.nz/

ferrarigirl, May 14, 7:35am
Many thanks for your replies. I have a vague idea at what the problem is but no warning lights as such. I will give vantage a call. Thanks again

intrade, May 14, 8:50pm
ok lets tell you some real facts a scan on a car is only as good as the scanner and its software to read and interpret the system.
its not like you plug in any scanner and it will tell you what is wrong ,
No scanner on this planet will be able to do all cars to a factory level scan .
unless it is a standalone scanner. lika vag volkswagen groupe rosstech-vcds-laptop. This is only for these make of cars and is fully factory capable . and you still need to know what the stuff is a tool tells you via obd2 , When it comes to older cars special adapters and even more advanced diagnostic software to read anything is required.
So you cant answer your question with that all scanners tell you the codes . they DO NOT! if the software is not inside the tool for that car yearr make and model then it will give you nothing, or even WORSE! wrong codes . if it manages to read anything.

intrade, May 14, 8:59pm
so first of all we would need to know what car year make and model we are talking about . on older stuff you can just guess what went wrong because its not multiplexing transmitting faulty information between electronic computer circuits to make perfectly fine components act up as if they where faulty like on new mid 2000 onwards cars.
And all you need on these older cars is a wiring diagram and knowing the symptoms and you can hone in on the problem as its all just 1 circuit aplications . i wire one job and only shared grounds that could be a problem on a old car for same circuit problems .
Now to scanners supercheap use a good scanner a bosch scanner that scanner wil be good for anything running bosch electronics under the bonnet like most euro stuff , Codes are symptoms and never what is wrong furter testing always must be done to pinpoint a suposed fault code .

intrade, May 14, 9:06pm
also the above is a symplyfied version and not a howto on finding faults , so i dont want aguments that what i said was wrong its to try and make it more symple and hopfully understanable to somone who wonders why new cars and old cars are so different now

franc123, Jan 29, 3:08pm
Lol the simplified version is to take it to the agent for that brand of car, the problem may not be diagnosable, let alone fixable by an aftermarket scan tool, especially if its late model one.