Australia's best cars

v8_mopar, Sep 21, 1:34am
I look at the wright up below and wonder the point of the dribble. What does best mean? Iconic, long lasting, economical, good looking? Well one could go on but now I will leave it to your opinion as mine is simple - It stood the test of time. Tho now I do wonder if these old greats are still here cos they were the best or what's just left behind from a society that liked to hang on to things as long as possible or had always had over inflated new car ticket prices.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/71909229/australias-best-cars

msigg, Sep 21, 2:14am
Charger all the way.

3tomany, Sep 21, 2:53am
GTHO hands down

jmma, Sep 21, 3:10am
Leyland P38 and a half (o: Yeah right!

tony9, Sep 21, 3:35am
Link on that page to Australia's worst cars has the comment about the Centura "building a series with a Mopar 4.3-litre slant six under its nose."

It was not the slant 6, it was the Hemi 245/265. Clearly a well thought through bit of research.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/71847410/australias-worst-cars

tgray, Sep 21, 3:58am
If Leyland is one of their best cars, no wonder the Australian car industry is in tatters.

franc123, Sep 21, 7:18am
I'm not sure how anybody could judge the Leyland Force7 properly, it didn't officially make it on the market and only half a handful of running driveable cars even existed in the first place, unless someone could produce a road test from Wheels or similar mag from that time its doubtful anyone from the media ever drove one, let alone compared it back to back with the VJ Charger, XB coupe or HJ Monaro it was going to compete with. I don't think the Centura was sold with the 265 either, they used the 215 and 245 only. One more comical error was the Cortina, the vehicle referred to in the text was the Falcon engined Aust market TC while the pictured car was a UK market Mk5 Ghia wagon that would have had a 1.6 2V, 2.0 or 2.3 V6 engine. Apart from the name and some structural aspects its hard to think of anything in common between the two.

tony9, Sep 21, 7:35am
They were made with the 265, but there may have only been a few. I was lucky enough to "win" one as a rental from Avis for a drive from Townsville to Cairns with a bit of outback driving as well. It had amazing grunt.

skiff1, Sep 21, 7:43am
I read this earlier, and thought it a terrible piece of writing. It ignored a range of awesome cars from various Falcons, to Toranas and Commodores. Never looked at a ute? The whole thing dismissed Falcons at the start, with zero justification. And then drops in the Camry. Ok clearly written by a moron.

v8_mopar, Sep 21, 7:54am
Well said. May not be a moron tho, maybe just new to the world of motoring.

The newer vehicles could still be recalled and that would not be a sign of a 'best car'

serf407, Sep 21, 7:54am
Skelta G-Force. Honda 2 litre engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-UdtakTBic

lookoutas, Sep 21, 7:54am
My vote is the HT Monaro.
And I'm one eyed blue oval to the core, and wish they had gone ahead with the XY Coupe. But then, that wasn't a fastback like the Monaro,
Chargers were OK, but the build quality was crap. (Here in NZ anyway)
XA to C Coupes were up there, compared with the HQ onwards Monaro's, which were just 2 door sedans like the XY would have been. I still like those Yankee Coupes and the XM/P Futura's.

The ultimate Monaro to have now would be an HK Barthurst 327.

poppy62, Sep 21, 8:13am
Lloyd Alexander !

tony9, Sep 21, 9:33am
While looking for some Valiant info i found the. http://www.usacarsforum.it/forum/index.php?/topic/17988-hemi-in-line-six/

I was quite in to them back in the day, with a bit of direction from one Jimmy Little.

trogedon, Sep 21, 9:58am
A youtuber commented "I was wondering what the ugliest car ever made was, and this has answered it for me." He's not wrong although it maybe a great performer.

skiff1, Sep 21, 10:18am
that car makes my eyes want to hurt themselves. What kind of a God allows something like that to live?

franc123, May 25, 10:19am
Yes, it wasn't a regular production model. Its one of those intriguing models that did or didn't officially exist depending on who you are talking to.