Advice needed

dirtydog124, Dec 20, 7:37am
I have a young man i know asking me how do you find out someones address if you are changing ownership papers,ok here goes,he sold a car 5 months ago and told the people to change the ownership papers and thought that was that(it was his first ever sale of a car) now he has got some toll road charges sent to him and a parking ticket,the persons name that bought it has long been forgotten and dissappeared into oblivion,how would he go about finding this persons address as he needs to put it on his disposal/selling of a vehicle form,any help is appreciated as he does'nt want any more bills popping up in his name cause as it stands he is still liable to pay any fines/tickets etc.

msigg, Dec 20, 7:55am
Well the only thing he can do now is let vehicle licensing in Palmerston North. know that he sold the car. Search vehicle licensing and do lots of reading,

2sheddies, Dec 20, 8:48am
Let that be a very good lesson to him, and advise him that, in future when he sells any vehicle, NEVER hand over the keys or let the car out of his sight until all ownership transactions have been completed. It can be done online in minutes. I always have a copy sent to my email address so I have a record of the new owners name and residential address should I ever need it. And write a sale receipt including the buyers name, the date, amount sold for, vehicle details etc. I also take a photo of that before giving it to the buyer, for posterity. But all he can do now in this case is as the poster above suggests. Ring NZTA and ask them to help.

Hope that helps him out!

mrfxit, Dec 20, 8:52am
You can also complete a "Driver declaration" that states you were NOT the driver or owner or in possession of that vehicle at the time of the offenses.

Theres a specific form & details should be on your ticket about how to do it.

tigertim20, Dec 20, 9:39am
had a fiend in a similar spot.

he had the guys number - the car had gone to a town a considerable distance away with the new owner.

new owner replied along the lines of sex and travel.

friend went into town the following day and de-registered the vehicle.

He never heard back from the other bloke but I dare say it could have got messy!

kazbanz, Dec 21, 1:39am
Dirtydog -Im assuming you mean the lad has done NOTHING about C of O himself.Trusting that the new owner has done their part.
In that case Im sorry the only thing I know you can do is do MR2B into "persons unknown"
If he HAS done his part ie HAS sent off the Mr2b then its worth contacting LTSA.

dirtydog124, May 12, 7:14pm
Thanks all above for the info,we contacted the nzta and explained the situation,they were really good and got it sorted.He had to pay the existing toll road charges and parking ticket on the spot over the phone(with the help of my credit card) and also had to pay the registration fees that were back dated to the time of sale until now which was just over one hundred bucks.He told them the name of the person(the grey matter had a name that got recalled yesterday)and the location of where this person lived(area) at the time of sale and they put those details on the vehicles notes but also said that the ownership of the vehicle is now in limbo until they get pulled up etc and get a boot up the bum to put the car in their name,cheers.