Truck experts, need your opinion please

narnies, Mar 4, 8:14am
whats the better truck. mitsi fighter 1988, or hino 4d 1989, looking at buying a horse truck and these are two that we are interested in, the mitsi has already had the clutch and gear box done and has about 400.000k's on the clock, the hino has had no major work done and the clock reads around 329,000K's, wanting some informed opinions please.

snoopy221, Mar 4, 8:45am
HE juss NO
hino. lol

strobo, Mar 4, 8:49am
HI kNOw f. all !

snoopy221, Mar 4, 8:56am
LOL anudda fumbs up 4 da HE. know.
Not 4wd trucks from memory and hell maintainence speaks for itself later mitsis were more isuzu BUT the ole Hino is what it is.

snoopy221, Mar 4, 9:48am
Sussed ya profile a local second opinion from a VERY reputable trustable mechanic could be available. James hasn't been posting here in a while however he knows this forum.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Allmotive-Repair-Neil-Stuart-Auto-2010-Ltd/147167885356359

serf407, Mar 4, 7:57pm
Too many variables in old trucks to make an assessment unseen. You have to get a really good visual inspection, get them tested on the brake test rollers, check steering, wheel bearings, suspension, Construction of the horse transport structure, cab mounts etc.
- It can depend on what life/ use/ maintenance the truck had before it was converted to a horse truck.etc.
I guess you have costed the old truck ( and potential repairs) against the cost of a large angle park horse float etc.
Potentially it can be not a lot of fun (unless you have 'popeye' pro truck driver's arms) to drive an old truck long distances without having the (front) tyres balanced, wheel alignment, chassis straightness checked. (Often not something usually done in your local small tyre shop)
http://www.truckalignmentservices.co.nz/

bigfatmat1, Mar 4, 11:45pm
lol had a nose a review from male_timaru

bigfatmat1, Mar 4, 11:48pm
Worked on a lot of thone two old girls judging from what I have seen over the years I would go hino

bruce551, Mar 5, 12:48am
look for chassis rust heave

wiseone58, Mar 5, 5:27am
Still a lot of old Hinos on the road down here, they just keep going.

bigfatmat1, May 16, 4:45pm
especially where the chassis is riveted together