VW - where to purchase timing belt kit?

Page 1 / 2
rayonline_tm, Aug 7, 9:03pm
Hiya all

Figured we might have it done at our own mechanic garage and purchase the parts. In the past he has been ok with that. Can you guys tell me some NZ sources where I can get some quality OEM parts from? VW Bora 04 standard auto 2.0.

I have rang around a reputable place near our residence quoted $1,000 which is similar to VW Wellington's $1,026. About $500 of that was their parts and 5 hour of labour which made up the other $500.

Thanks.

tamarillo, Aug 7, 9:20pm
That's a ridiculous price for both parts and labour.
Jazz, resident VW expert, can help with how many hours it is on that engine, but $500 parts is absurd. I import stuff for my euros when local suppliers want absurd money.
Pelican parts is highly reputable major online supplier for VW stuff, bit more than eBay but worth it for their knowledge and assured quality of parts.
They do a full kit including the water pump, which you must do at same time, for US$131. You'll need to check post but still.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/2061/VAG_2061_ENGCAM_pg1.htm#item3
This might not be exact part but I think it might be.
Do get your engine number etc to check right parts. I think they call the bora a Jetta. But same engine as golf.
Hope someone can advice better workshop to try.

mrcat1, Aug 7, 10:02pm
And the likes off Jazz says VW stuff is so much better than common jap stuff, I think i'll just stick to common jap stuff as I know if I go down the road I can get parts simply and cheaply than having to find them overseas and having to import them myself, then having to find someone who is willing to work on euro rubbish AND knows what they are doing without it feeling like extortion.

kazbanz, Aug 7, 10:06pm
Rayonline--have you tried pricing up a kit from the likes of appco ?
Beeing a 2004 2.0l you may well be surprised

rayonline_tm, Aug 7, 10:27pm
No I haven't. I will look into appco.

FYI. I rang VW Wellington and this was what I got. Timing Belt $162.25, Water Pump $121.53 and Coolant $41.79 rest of it making up to $1026 was the 5hr labour.

Hey out of interest generally. Repco and Super Cheap Auto sells Bosch belts. How good are they compared to OEM? I know that they make spark plugs and NGK does as well and they tend to be recommended brand and parts at least with the service book manuals.

kazbanz, Aug 7, 10:34pm
rayonline--Im more than happy to stand corrected but I understand that bosch made the factory belts for a lot of german cars.

pandai, Aug 8, 1:59am
Did the VW dealer or your mechanic allow for a tensioner?

tamarillo, Aug 8, 2:09am
Why? What is your need to voice this crap and why bung up this thread!

tamarillo, Aug 8, 2:18am
Ah! Now we're looking at much saner parts money. Labour still seems awfully high, try googling what's involved.
Tensioner should be changed too.m
Bosch parts are superb. They're an Oem supplier meaning VW use there parts for some stuff. Any Oem make is good IMO as they have a reputation to uphold.
Many of these parts would not have been made by VW in first place so Oem is as good if not better.

mrcat1, Aug 8, 3:02am
Because I can!
Is this thread not proof that euros are more expensive to fix than other makes of vehicles?
"Ah! Now we're looking at much saner parts money. Labour still seems awfully high, try googling what's involved. " You have said it yourself in this sentence that its expensive.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 8, 3:25am
For what it's worth OP, I generally just buy kits like that from Ebay, so long as I can get a quality brand like bosch, gates etc that includes the waterpump and tensioners.

Otherwise, BNT should also stock a kit (actually should be over the counter ready to go). Just remember to get the coolant from either online or VW themselves, you really want to be running the proper G13 stuff.

Your local mechanic should be good as gold to do it. They can likely supply parts via BNT for much the same price to you too. If anything you may just need to get the G13, although BNT do actually sell a proper specific VW G13 equivalent. (not to be confused with general coolants that supposedly can be used in anything)

mrcat1, Aug 8, 3:53am
Since when did god die and you become boss, cant you handle a bit of the truth?
As this is a public message board anyone can comment on items in these threads, whether you like it or not. And I am offering help to the OP, pointing out other vehicles are cheaper to fix than euro vehicles.

wsnownz, Aug 8, 4:08am
Not much help when the OP owns a euro car!

mrcat1, Aug 8, 4:09am
Nothing stopping him selling it.

wsnownz, Aug 8, 4:10am
Why? Because it's needs a new cam belt?

mrcat1, Aug 8, 4:12am
What do you reckon?

cagivachick1, Aug 8, 5:16am
whats the difference from you writing a bible on eurotrash when somebody asks a question about what japanese vehicle to buy?

berg, Aug 8, 5:28am
funnily enough, I was thinking exactly the same thing

tgray, Aug 8, 6:16am
Come on, that's a bit unfair.
Jazz has given totally appropriate advise to the OP and there's no need for this.

tamarillo, Aug 8, 6:24am
No. I said the labour quotes he got seemed high. I think. I've seen some nasty quotes for Japanese cars too.
Workshop I use charges same hourly rate as other small ones and fixes these quickly as he knows them and doesn't bullshit his customers with silly charges on basis it's a euro. It's bullshit. These engines have no odd ways about them, no more parts than a japper. And corrected parts prices were reasonable.

tamarillo, Aug 8, 6:28am
Do you still own the cagiva? Nice bikes. Suzuki engine in some I think? Please take it for a long ride and reflect a bit on your hassling. It's just not nice.

kazbanz, Aug 8, 6:38am
Rayonline-I took the time to look up the last cambelt job I had done on a dubbie-actually Audi A3.
cambelt job came in at $895.00 That was belt ,tensioner kit,water pump.coolant and labour.
So $1000 really doesn't seem OTT.
same sort of money as a subby. -subby price up because you do both rocker cover gaskets at the same time.
Keep in mind-that's a grand ever 100k or 8 years.

intrade, Aug 8, 6:43am
in taumarunui now i buy most stuff from rexbo.eu even mazda and daihatsu parts that no one in nz can supply. rexbo ship to your front door, just try and stay below 360$nz converted in euro wih shipping

cagivachick1, Aug 8, 7:09am
yes i do TL 1000 suzuki vtwin, what hassling are you talking about, Jaz has had a go at me on a couple of threads because i have mentioned first hand experience on the woes of owning a toerag, while he is singing their praises to all and sundry the one at my work financially crippled our managing director and was saleproof no one would trade it and it was sold for $2000, so i just give back what he gives. He is obviously handy with the tools and is able to fettle these dogs but your average punter doesnt have the time or skills and doesnt want to spend their weekends up to their armpits in a complicated euro mobile. most people drive car, car has problem, take car to garage, write massive cheque to garage, drive car

cabrio1, Aug 8, 8:16am
Bought mine off eBay. True blue auto parts.
Cost l/4 kiwi price. Including shipping.
Cam belt kit delivered $119. Belt, pump, tensioner.
Kiwi $400 odd plus delivery.