If the engine is turning over but not starting .

wendalls, Sep 25, 8:36am
Does this completely rule out the battery being at fault? I had this issue ( after it was unused for 3 days) but after a good run to the mechanics the problem has gone away. They can't figure out what could have caused it and relying on my description can't figure out what it is. It started eventually at my house with jumper leads but still sounded the same. Trying to turnover is how I'd describe it. Car is Mitsi outlander 10 yrs old, 110 ks. Thanks for any hints.

melonhead1, Sep 25, 8:37am
Is it turning over at the same speed as normal?

beachhouse2, Sep 25, 8:38am
No. It could be turning over to slow to fire. Diesel or Petrol?

m16d, Sep 25, 9:21am
"Trying to turn over". sounds like the battery is makuta.

franc123, Sep 25, 9:40am
No it doesn't rule it out. If the battery voltage is falling too low during cranking, it could be causing all sorts of issues with the various management modules in the car, in many vehicles it can even cause overfuelling and flooding. It should have a good charge from a mains charger and have a load test, and a residual current test too to ensure nothing is draining it when its not running. if you suspect its the original battery its really time to get rid if it.

kazbanz, Sep 25, 9:49am
How does it turn over with another battery connected?

petermcg, Sep 27, 3:50am
I would look first at the Terminal connections to the battery for corrosion before doing anything.

jenny188, Apr 28, 2:03am
My suzuki 2.5 would start instantly hot or cold but would crank over for many minutes before eventually firing up. Took it to the agents who hooked it up to diagnostic machine ($100) and found no fault. Replaced the battery and had no further problems. In theory the ecu (computer module) needs x volts to function properly and the voltage was dipping down below that level. Hot the motor had recharged and cold it was still charged up from the last run. Short run was just enough to drain below the require voltage to power computer and provide sufficient spark