? cost of relacing cambelt. '96 mitzi galant 2.0

marte, Jun 29, 7:49am
I have to replace the cambelt of a 1996 mitzi galant glxI l/bck m.
Just wondering if I can do it myself.
It looks easy to get to, won't have to remove engine or wheel assembly.

m16d, Jun 30, 2:29am
Them sideways engines are not as easy and front "n" back ones.
Just saying. that's all.

phillip.weston, Jun 30, 11:14am
It has the SOHC 4G63. it's one of the more easy east/west engines to do. A good mechanic should be able to do the job including replacing the water pump within 3-4 hours. Parts are cheap at around $200-300 all up including timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, idler/tensioner and oil seals.

I had a '97 GLXi sedan (same as the OP's '96 liftback) and I did the job myself in an afternoon using standard tools.

ceebee2, Jul 5, 10:56pm
I would not tackle it yourself as you have to "retime check" the countershaft belt which if set wrong will vibrate, not to mention the actual main cam belt alignment. (And I have experienced many mechanics who thought they new better and got it wrong.)
I guess if you bought a Haynes manual or sourced one off the net you could do it.
Replace the water pump as well and flush / add antifreeze.

gmphil, Jul 5, 11:58pm
ul need to remove wheel in covers to access crank bolt in have moving room to work to re do if has balance belt . i done heap of these as earlier post roughly half day . make sure u have tdc in don't move stuff or get print out of timing mark just in case ,twink is ur friend mark all pulleys

rctr, Jul 6, 8:01am
Engine fitted with 2 silent shafts. The 1 driven by main belt is also the oil pump. Best way to time this up is turn pulley when shaft is timed the pulley will "run" to the timing mark. There is also a 14 mm bolt in block behind exhaust manifold take this out and if a screw driver can be inserted the shaft is timed.
The other shaft is timed when the marks line up

marte, Jul 10, 8:08am
Thankyou, and the others who have replied too. After looking at it on utube (ain't it great) and realised that it probably is within my capability.
That, really its a easy job I could quite cock up quite easly.
Even if I got it right, to get it wrongs going to cost much more than I could save by day.
And that, if its a easy job, there's snowballs chance in hell of a proper tradesman mechanic doing anything wrong.
Hell, after three times they could do it blindfolded.
Considering where the work needs to be done its almost the same as being
blindfolded anyway.

So its going in on Monday morning for a $700+ a bit "Do the lot" appointment.
(I brought the car last week for $800, + $100 rego.)

Still, its done 276000kms, mint bright white with black trim (£uro!) 3 owners, NZ new, last owner did 1/2 the kms, ashtray and lighter used once only.
Last owner reconditioned the complete brake system, new discs and such.
Its done just over 100kms since the last WOF, 3 months ago.
Slight stone chips, no dints at all. Right rear door hardly ever used at all.
No air con, hey I live in Invercargill, no need for it.

I think its been a 'Dads car', pride and joy, well looked after, great example of Kiwi ness, since its NZ new. Has towbar.
And that's how i am going to be look after it too.

Thanks/m

marte, Jul 10, 8:18am
I asked two people, one who knows and the other was a kid whose Father works there. "Who should I take it too?"
They both said the same place, largish car workshop.
I talked to the wife there, maybe the owners owner, and she knew all the right words and numbers, of the car.

Maybe I should clean the engine properly around the cam belt area.?
I gotta replace the condenser on the alternator too, it makes a whine of the radio all the time.

ceebee2, Jul 11, 8:37am
I vaguely remember there being a Mitsi bulletin out on that when I was a Mitsi apprentice many moons ago. cannot remember what it was though LOL. I would ask a Mitsi Tech. an older one working for Mitsi.

Is the radio a really old one cause I know that is generally can be an issue?

marte, Dec 20, 1:26am
Its a newish radio without a knob for the volume.
So its getting chucked out. Far too fiddly to use while driving.

I paid $750 to get everything done, belts, rollers, seals, radiator fluid, adjuster etc etc.
. They also changed the oil and filter.
Im really happy I took 'ceebee2' s advise and got someone proper to do it.
In hindsight there is just too many things that can go wrong.
They gave me a discount too, niiiice! (A real discount of the parts price)
I will be taking my car back there if I need anything done to it.
The garage I used is a large one, lotsa workers, on the south end of Elles rd, on the east side. Just south of Kew hospital.

Thanks again.
The cambelt was very close to breaking too, cracks at every thin point between teeth and some teeth were starting to come off the belt.