Slipping CVT?

cattleshed, Jan 14, 10:12pm
I have just been in a 1.3L 2005 Toyota Vitz and at first I thought the auto was slipping as it was winding up but then would have a delay like a slip and it was like it then engaged the next gear. The other strange thing was that taking off just normally it would wind up temporarily and then the engine speed decreased and it felt like it was going into top. Car has done 90 000km. The gear stick had PRNDSB and I was assured it was a CVT. I thought CVT's just wound up continously? Next question: what is this Vitz CVT normally like and are they available in manual and ordinary auto?

jason18, Jan 14, 10:27pm
Hard to tell from what you described. I would ring the guys from cvt.co.nz and have a word to them.

intrade, Jan 14, 11:14pm
as post 2 look on the plate under bonnet for gearbox code?
also as i said it often toyota are no longer bullet proof like the old 3 and 4 speed aisin boxes they fitted in the late 80s early 90s
as you just confirmed .

kazbanz, Jan 14, 11:20pm
have a look at the GEARBOX dipstick and see whats written on it.

mad_signtist, Jan 14, 11:25pm

daryl14, Jan 14, 11:30pm
That actually sounds like how a cvt is supposed to drive. Revs are not proportional to speed but variable instead. Just get a mechanic to test drive it to be sure.

franc123, Jan 28, 8:39am
The only thing I would be concerned about there would be this apparent sudden change in the gear ratio. I would get a Toyota agent to road test it and see what they think, or even better get them to look at the live data going in and out of the trans control module for anything odd.