New tyres problem

zak1998, May 12, 3:49am
Had two front tyres fitted last week Bridgestones 215/60 R16 grid 2. But getting vibration in the centre of the steering wheel and road noise above 70 kph is real bad what could it be garage who fitted em said nothing wrong with em.

mrfxit, May 12, 3:59am
Get them to swap them to the back.
It could well prove a point that theres a problem either way

ema1, May 12, 4:07am
Some tyres are prone to flat spotting if car is parked for some time, take wheels to a tyre shop and have them spin them on a wheel balancer to see if they are out of round or indeed out of balance.
Check to see if they are properly mounted on the rims? (Directional if they are that type?)
A thorough check of the front suspension components would be in order too.

floscey, May 12, 4:08am
directionals on the wrong way ?

intrade, May 12, 4:09am
they should inspect your rotor and suspension, the only way to balance problems from the vehicle would be to balance the tyre on the car .
also what mrfixit tells is actuarly not a good idea because if they tre is not ballanced correctly then the tyre will just bounce on the rear and destroy the rear suspension and shocks and you wont feel it therefor ignore it while its doing its damage over time

ema1, May 12, 4:16am
Are the rims suitable for that tyre size?

bwg11, May 12, 4:54am
Think Mrfixit was simply suggesting a fool-proof method of establishing that the tyres were the problem, not suggesting a long-term cure.

intrade, May 12, 5:04am
could well be i just pointed out why you woud not use it as a cure in this instance

zak1998, May 12, 5:17am
no looked at that it's the right way

vtecintegra, May 12, 5:30am
Those are noisy three so that part is normal.

mrfxit, May 12, 5:49am
LOL Ron, never suggested as long term, just another way of checking if it's the new tyres/rim or suspension as a cause.
if the noise & any other hassles are shifted to the back by shifting the tyres, then indeed those wheels are an issue.

strobo, May 12, 8:15am
Could be factory rejects cheap but new , ,you know the corner tyre shop with the red dot in the center! May not have balanced out too good or most likely wheel alignment , the old worn tyres found a happy balance spot previously & that you hadn't noticed a possible wheel alignment issue prior to the new tyres fitted but has now become more accentuated.

kazbanz, May 12, 8:20am
new or used tyres?-

scuba, May 12, 9:59am
strobo wrote:
Could be factory rejects cheap but new , ,you know the corner tyre shop with the red dot in the center! May not have balanced out too good or most likely wheel alignment , the old worn tyres found a happy balance spot previously & that you hadn't noticed a possible wheel alignment issue prior to the new tyres fitted but has now become more accentuated.[/quote

wheel alignment very rarely causes shaking.
IF it only happened since new tyres went on either the tyres not seated on the rim properly, out of balance or out of round, or wheel not centered on the hub or wheel nuts improperly torqued.
Fact that you say a garage fitted them means it's very likely one of those issues as most garages don't have necessary equipment to do the job properly,, especially when they usually get a junior staff member to do the job.

zak1998, May 13, 12:14am
Took em back guy said you get bad road noise on Directional Tires. Is this true?

zak1998, May 13, 12:16am
It was a tyre shop and the new tyres are Directional Tires not Asymmetrical like the last pair

sw20, May 13, 4:26am
Lost a wheel weight?

monzaman, May 13, 5:41am
I've got grid 2s on front of my car same size but 15s,car not used much but they never flat spot,yours probably been over inflated causing delamination to start,I had a conti sport contact do that on my hiace once which also became audable.They prob not available new anymore as grid 3s superceded 2s.

strobo, May 13, 5:55am
Yes you are correct but a vibration can be warped rotors or anything else . Bad alignment can cause vibrations as wheels pull against each other. It always pay to check your alignment anyway especially after fitting new tyres.

mortonmob, May 13, 9:21am
Grid 2s haven't been available for years. If they got sold to you as new tyres I'd go get my money back.

scuba, May 14, 5:03am
Find somewhere you can replicate the fault and take them for a drive.
the reasons i stated are the most common for causing shaking on new fitments but not the only ones. a road test should give them a better idea of the cause or at least somewhere to start.

yes some directional tyres are noisy - if so they should have told you that at the point of sale.

scuba, May 14, 5:19am
If it is a wheel alignment issue it should have shown up in the tyre wear on the old tyres -although the tyre shop should have sold you an alignment or at least suggested one when they sold you the tyres.

zak1998, Jan 30, 11:14am
Took it back and said I wanted other tyres they swapped em for Dunlop noise gone now. Thanks for all your help