Best way to get oil stains of concrete drive?

Page 1 / 2
daz1968, Dec 23, 7:00am
Hi there, a tenants boyfriends ( bucket of bolts ) classic jag has left oil stains on the driveway, anyway this can be easily removed ? I do have a pressure washer maybe theres some kind recommended cleaner Im not sure ? any ideas would be appreciated, its old concrete ! cheers :)

seadubya, Dec 23, 7:08am
Liquid magnet or DeSolveIt.

intrade, Dec 23, 7:34am
use dishwash liquid on stain soonest scrub it in and wash it off with hot water.
that will get rid of it but only if your on to it not if you wait days to do this.
for fresh oil stains

supernova2, Dec 23, 7:42am
Tenant caused the problem - make them clean it up.

Whatever you use you will then end up with clean spots, which wont look much better.

daz1968, Dec 23, 7:55am
Id like to make her - but shes 66, havent laid eyes on her new man LOL, but I'd say he's a wank ! has a bright red old jag with colour coded bumpers etc etc,

thanks I will get onto it tomorrow and try the hot water with detergent first, its on the private road ( which the neighbours and I paid for ) so that was my first concern, I've nipped it in the bud early and told tennant about it, should be fine now :)

tgray, Dec 23, 8:02am
Spray engine degreaser on it ($5 can from Supercheap/Repco) ) and then pour boiling water on top, then hose away.

lookoutas, Dec 23, 8:15am
You leave me no option but to suggest you seem to be well versed at doing this.
Hmmmmm.

666steve, Dec 23, 12:29pm
Easiest fix is Coca Cola.

Works a treat. some people drink it as well.

franc123, Dec 23, 12:40pm
Wetting the area followed by a sprinkle of washing powder followed by a work in with a stiff brush followed by a rinse works well if you don't have access to anything else.

bjmh, Dec 23, 6:20pm
mustangs don't leak eh outlookas,santas coming. then there will be some stains to clean up

tgray, Dec 23, 6:46pm
I sell cars and the oil is from customers who have no problem in parking their sometimes, heavily leaking old bangers on my property, knowing there will be a puddle underneath it when they leave.
They could always park on the road instead, but that would mean a 30 second walk.

mals69, Dec 23, 8:07pm
So folk who choose to buy a chevy not big in the brain power department ?

poppy62, Dec 23, 8:08pm
As 666Steve says Coca Cola. Actually eats into stainless steel.

gazzat22, Dec 23, 8:25pm
Used to be used for cleaning rust of chrome bumper and believe it or not Royal Brisbane Hospital used it to flush out IV lines in the ICU.I saw it when my daughter was a patient.Thats the truth!

tgray, Dec 23, 8:28pm
Well, 99% of the cars I sell are Toyota's, Nissan's and Mazda's.

mals69, Dec 23, 8:51pm
Oh ok - thought wrong, thought you were a yankee danky speacilist. Will
bare you in mind when in the market for a Nissan.

mecanix, Dec 24, 3:57am
coke.

its useful for something.

lookoutas, Dec 24, 4:12am
With rum.

mecanix, Dec 24, 7:23am
use it to clean concrete.

you will never drink it again.

bigfatmat1, Dec 24, 9:04am
I just tried to clean a patch of oil in my garage with coke. Did nothing but make a mess and attract ants.

rpvr, Dec 25, 6:43pm
If like me you're not inclined to be too energetic, just put a thick coating of garden lime over the stains and leave it until the rain removes it. Keep repeating until the stain is gone . Might take weeks or months but it will work eventually.

motig, Dec 25, 7:20pm
Have to say tho that the only way you'll have a pristine driveway is to never use it which sort of defeats the purpose.

bigfatmat1, Dec 25, 8:07pm
mines clean then again I don't drive a euro or a mitsi

timbo69, Dec 26, 4:20pm
Depends on the grade, would be impossible to make if it corroded pipework. I suppose they could use fiberglass pipework - but they dont.

poppy62, Dec 26, 8:00pm
Well my Moore & Wright 12" stainless Ruler bears testament to the phosphoric acid content of Coca Cola. Did this back in the late 60s in the Engineering w/shop, a lot of Rum& coke drinkers at the time in the w/shop were /weren't impressed.