Car Paint is so bad now

thunderbolt, Sep 29, 4:37am
So this is a 2010 car with clear coat flake?

What model car?

2sheddies, Sep 29, 4:57am
I think a large part of the problem is, the general, lazy vehicle owning population treat their car like any other appliance, and don't give a rats about it, until it's too late. Much easier to drive it through a paint ruining car wash than do it by hand. And they sure don't get regular polishing and waxing! So of course they quickly deteriorate.

I don't know the technicalities of modern base coat/clear laquer paint systems, but given the number of late model cars you see with similar issues, perhaps the newer paint suffers the effects of neglect much worse than the old enamels.

pandai, Sep 29, 5:04am
New paint lasts as long as you take care of it, keeping it clean and waxed, and removing bird crap immediately (this being a very important point)

robotnik, Sep 29, 5:21am
Obviously some paint is better than others. Eg. the finish on most BMWs looks like new even after 20 years. It will be that some paint is more immune to UV than others.

ladyluck110, Sep 29, 5:28am
It's a red one!

bwg11, Sep 29, 5:36am
Environmentally good water based car paints have certainly come in for their share of criticism. My own experience is good. Almost five year old FJ Cruiser in yellow. Paint is as new. Quite a bit of off roading on narrow tracks pushing through gorse and broom has hardly left a mark. I would go as far as saying the water based paint has stood up every bit as well if not better than conventional paints.

gammelvind, Sep 29, 6:05am
Unlikely to be 2pot if it is clear coated.
A bit more detail about the vehicle would be great, but the end result regardless is that it needs to be repainted.

gunhand, Sep 29, 6:12am
Only the base coat is waterborne, top coats/clear are normal solvent based products. Unless a waterborne clear has been introduced of late.

fordcrzy, Sep 29, 6:22am
ita all to do with saving the planet. Low VOC paint systems and fewer coats(meaning fewer drying cycles/power useage/carbon emissions) just google Mazdas new paintbooth tech to see what its all about. getting a paint finish thats 90% good enough for 5 years using 50% less power and 30% "green credits."

bwg11, Sep 29, 6:22am
Thanks for that, all I know about it is what I read on the States based FJ Forum.

grangies, Sep 29, 6:35am
No vans come out brand new in yellow in NZ. The yellow on your van must have been applied for a fleet colour after it arrived in New Zealand.

fordcrzy, Sep 29, 6:54am
yellow is one of the worst colours for oxidation. the key is to polish and put a decent WAX on it. its the WAX that protects the paint not the polish. so many people think that polish is a protectant. it isnt. and so many people think that wax removes swirls. it doesnt.

supernova2, Sep 29, 7:02am
So a no rub quick blast job with budget grade materials.
Being yellow I"m guessing it was a Courier van so the expectation is that every panel will be damaged within a year so it will get another sloppy paint job. It was never expected to last more than 5 minutes.

countrypete, Sep 29, 7:02am
Ummm. also cheaper, which would be the driver for most manufacturers - save $1 per car and it really adds up.

brapbrap8, Sep 29, 7:29am
Paint was stuffed in less than a year on my Mitsi Triton, faded very badly, and flaking off so I couldn't put my sign writing on it.
Of course Mitsubishi said it wasn't covered by warranty, so I left my ute on their yard, flogged a brand new one and made it their problem.
After 6 weeks of them threatening to call the police on me, they repainted my ute.
The new paint is much better quality than standard, seems to be thicker and doesn't flake around stone chips.

poppy62, Sep 29, 7:54am
I was sure the Hyundai iLoad came with yellow as an option.

dr.doolittle, Apr 16, 6:04pm
C20 did too.