Kazbanz your thoughts on wagon for around $10-13k

sooby, Mar 5, 11:02pm
howdy Kaz and anyone else keen to add their two cents worth,

It's time to upgrade from our BG5 Legacy, given its been the best car we've owned we'd like to get another one, or maybe a Mazda 6 (not atenza tho).

I've been looking at BP Legacys, but struggle to find many that match the following criteria:

- Front, side & curtain airbags,
- 2 litre,
- around $10-13k,
- not done a million kms,

Full airbags is a priority, but on BP Legacys these generally seem to be found on 2.5 litre, 3 litre or GT models only. There are a few latest shape BR Legacys that are close to fitting, but are 2.5litre, CVT and generally have done higher kms so not first choice (plus we like the frameless windows that stopped with BP shape)

From what I've seen multiple airbags were an option not often ticked, is it possible for a dealer to import a car fitting this criteria via Japanese auctions, or am I being unrealistic?

Had also considered Mazda 6 NZ new as it ticks all the boxes (2.3litre acceptable), but as they are highly desirable they seem to go for stupid money considering what they are. Also considered Toyota Avensis, but they seem way too boring IMO compared to AWD grip of Subaru & the Mazda nice ride.

Keen to know your thoughts?

oh, and and jazzpianoman thanks, but save your breath as I'm not interested in anything Euro (higher initial purchase & maintenance costs put it out of our price range) without winning lotto!

tamarillo, Mar 5, 11:27pm
2 cents worth. Can see a few available with under 100k in price range, and see Aussie cars can opt all six bags, so as you said, must be available ex Japan. Maybe you have to just ask a lot of advertisers, or as you suggest find someone you trust and get one bought in.
What about nz new ones, if Aussie can opt it then maybe nz ones could.
Are you not ok with the 2.5 model, it seems more numerous so might increase chances.
Sure kabanz will enlighten further.
Oh and the BP is a handsome car, which can't be said of newer model!

sooby, Mar 5, 11:54pm
cheers tamarillo,

Yeah, have seen the odd NZ new model - just hard to find. I guess 2.5litre wouldn't be a deal breaker - just overkill for a grocery getter & probably add unnecessarily to fuel bill.

Yeap, the 2008 revision of BP shape is especially sharp, then they went to the BR shape WHAT HAPPENED?!

marmar1, Mar 6, 5:13am
It's probably only about $20 difference a week between them, buy the 3.0 and enjoy the power.

sooby, Mar 6, 6:07am
hrmm, interesting marmar1 thanks for that!

ryanm2, Mar 6, 6:16am
Agreed get a 3.0. Just sold our 2007 outback (2.5) and went back to the 2001 lancaster 6. Always regretted selling our first one. Lucky i got another for 3k which has been maintained extremely well.

kazbanz, Mar 6, 9:50am
I quite like the 3.0l subbies. so I'd say if you like em replace with a newer one makes sense

tamarillo, Mar 6, 9:55am
Re the 2.5, generally if everything else is equal ( type and tech of engine, weight, driving style, use of accelaration) the bigger motor won't make naff all difference to economy. It's only when you use the extra power you pay! I think 2.5 is development of same motor so you shouldn't really notice any big change in gas. Indeed in some open road situations a larger engine can be better on gas as its not working and Reving so hard.
The 3 litre is a whole different kettle of fish as its a six so extra weight etc.m

kazbanz, Mar 6, 7:51pm
sooby thinking about it--try a markx zio--for the purpose it might be just the ticket. -Forget the extra seats and enjoy the comfort

sooby, Mar 6, 7:59pm
cheers guys,

Kaz, what about my original question - is it possible for a dealer to import a car fitting the criteria above via Japanese auctions, or am I being unrealistic?

tamarillo, Mar 6, 8:05pm
3 cents worth. I've seen dealers specifically advertising this service, indeed there are online services in nz doing only this, to be found on Google.

sooby, Mar 6, 8:47pm
thanks again tamarillo

I'm just curious if there is enough stock in Japan fitting my needs to make it worth an importers time to import, I'd imagine a dealer wouldn't want to spend hours sifting thru hundreds of auction sheets to find a particular model specced with 6 airbags.

Have spoken to one dealer in the flesh about this, and he said he'd ask their guy in Japan, but have yet to hear anything back! That's why I thought asking an unbiased dealer like kazbanz was worth while

sooby, Mar 7, 3:34am
Any other dealers want to comment:

Is it possible for a dealer to import a car fitting the criteria above via Japanese auctions, or am I being unrealistic?

sooby, Mar 7, 3:35am
wow, never seen that model before! Might be outside our price range, but will show it to the missus & add it to short list

kazbanz, Mar 7, 4:12am
Sorry mate my hands are a bit tied re self promotion etc.
Im darn sure a dealer could do the investigation work if they were asked to

haventrader, Mar 7, 5:01am
Not wanting to "sell" you a Euro, but what makes you say that? Higher initial purchase price - you only want to spend up to $13k, so would you pay more if it was Euro- no logic there.
Higher maintenance costs- really? Based on what? Have owned both a Euro and a Jappa simultaneously. The service costs were very comparable, in fact the Euro could be argued was cheaper was it not for a cambelt that needed replacing (the Jappa was chain driven). But would love to see what happens if you don't replace a Jappa's cambelt. Just my 2c worth. Really your comment is very broad and unfound, but good luck finding the right car.

ema1, Mar 7, 5:36am
Simple answer to #16 as stated by OP "Not Interested. "

sooby, May 11, 10:10pm
Yeah I understand you can't plug yourself, and wasn't asking you too - I don't want to get anyone in trouble! Ok, good to know our goals aren't impossible from someone in the trade.

Appreciate everyone's input, thanks it means a lot!