AT light coming on - mazda atennza

jiffy4, Apr 22, 8:03am
Hi
I have recently purchased a mazda atenza, automatic, 2006 station wagon.
Great car but recently the 'AT' light on the dash comes on and at the same time the car refuses to move from '3rd gear'. neither up to 4th or 5th. This happens occasionally . once every few days. If I stop the car and restart it then the light usually goes out and the car runs normally.
Occasionally at a stop sign or similar, when I am accelerating off, the car tends to surge forward.
Are there any mechanically minded ones out there that can give me some idea as to what might be wrong and what might be needed to solve such.
I am recording every time this happens and taking the car back to the dealer next week. Thank you.

mechnificent, Apr 22, 8:48am
It sounds like you have al electrical fault in the transmission control system. or possibly an overheating transmission. but probably an electrical fault.

There is a way to question the control computer and it will tell you which part of the electrical system is playing up. It's the first step in diagnosis. after checking it has fluid.
If you look here you can read how to get the trouble code out of the trans computer, and what it means.
http://codes.rennacs.com/

mechnificent, Apr 22, 8:49am
Probably best to check the level as per the hand-book, and then let the dealer check it out.

franc123, Apr 22, 9:40am
Something is causing it to go into Limp Mode, its normal for it to command a particular gear, which is usually 3rd when this happens. It will have to be scanned to find out why, just do what you were planning and get the dealer to make arrangements for it to be looked at.

jiffy4, Feb 27, 3:55pm
Thank you franc123 and mechnificent :)