Mazda mx5 "Jinba Ittai"? Stuff that.

Page 1 / 2
friendly_prawn, Jan 21, 7:09pm
I reckon it will be ripe for a V8 transplant at 950kg. Just imagine the weight to power ratio with the right engine.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm!c_id=9&objectid=10779866

friendly_prawn, Jan 21, 7:10pm
And its not a horse, its car doh!

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 7:47pm
Yes, but a car that weighs 950kgs with a 120kw engine will still go really well. If you double the figures, 1900kgs and 240kw, the performance will be better than a V6 supercharged Calais, or match a lot of V8 cars.

friendly_prawn, Jan 21, 8:07pm
I guess your comment puts things in to perspective.
Oh well, that was a short conversation. lol

moosie_21, Jan 21, 8:29pm
If you want to ruin the ride handling characteristics (what it was originally designed for) of the car go right ahead. It sounds something akin to bagging a ute and putting 22' chrome wheels on it.

whynot7, Jan 21, 8:40pm
i knew a guy in aussie that had a turbo lexus v8 in his .he had a few traction problems

un_known, Jan 21, 9:53pm
saw one at powercruise an NA model with a supercharged lexus v8 and if that wasnt enough it had nitrous and a manual trans.Best thing is apart from a slight bonnet scoop it looked damn near stock.

fordcrzy, Jan 21, 11:53pm
theres a guuy in the club with a NC mx5 and hes put a LS6 engine and mustang style 6 speed in to it.beautiful bit of engineering

friendly_prawn, Jan 22, 12:54am
I have driven a few MX5s and found them to be dead boring, well around town anyway. More fun driving my old Falcon. I could imagine my thoughts on them would change drastically with a decent engine or engine mods.

friendly_prawn, Jan 22, 12:58am
I wouldnt mind betting choosing the right 8 may actuallybe lighter than the current engine in them.
Take the old P76 as an example. More than enough get up and go to make a car that lightweight move out. An extremly light engine choice.
I can remember selling one years ago, two dudes showed up to take it away. Picked it up and just carried out to their waiting ute.
Now the old p76 might not be every one's choice but I love them. You can get up to around 320 hp out of one which would be more than enough to make an MX5 fly.Wouldnt like the job of trying to fit it in to the engine bay though.I'm pretty sure the Toyota V8 is not that much heavier too and would be another good choice.

friendly_prawn, Jan 22, 1:03am

foxdonut, Jan 22, 1:10am
If you want a retarded power to weight convertible, you want a Weineck cobra.

It could shit an MX5 out its exhaust pipes.

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 1:42am
Hang on, you might be missing the point here. Read the whole article you originally posted. That's not what the MX5 is meant to be, there's a lot more to it than power and speed. It's a combination of things. Anyway, I've driven the first and third generation MX5s. I enjoyed driving the '90 model with its 88kw internal combustion engine, very nice, well balanced car, although not a good look if you have another male passenger. The third generation was a beast, very well built, excellent chassis.

friendly_prawn, Jan 22, 1:59am
yeah but cobra's are so fugly. Blerrrrkkk.
If I had the money to spend on an ugly as sin home made cobra replica, then why not go for something decent. 5L TVR would fit the bill nicely. :-)

friendly_prawn, Jan 22, 2:08am
I read the whole article. And I doknow what the designer is intending it to be. Hence my post.I think he got it wrong. A little more power could make it an exciting car to drive. Instead I find it dead boring. .But I guess the reality is they sell plenty so they must be right and i must be wrong. Oh well not that I have to worry. After driving a few of them, I'll never have to worry about owning one.

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 2:20am
Fair enough comment.

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 2:26am
That's what Mazda thought too, they went from 88kw to 120kw. Is 120kw / tonne not enough! How much power would you want in a small roadster!

If they could make an "improvement", they should also add a small turbo charged rotary to their engine line up, to give it a bit more soul (although, I hate rotary engines).

friendly_prawn, Jan 22, 2:28am
actually I dont think a rotary would be out of place in an MX5. would probably be a great idea.

foxdonut, Jan 22, 3:14am
There's something wrong with someone who would rather a 5 litre TVR than a 13 litre Cobra.

phillip.weston, Jan 22, 3:31am
a bit strange they opted for 1.3 and 1.6 powerplants over the 1.8 and 2.0. Surely the 1.3 turbo with its direct injection, turbo, intercooler etc will weigh more than the outgoing 2.0 engine.

fordcrzy, Jan 22, 4:58am
i have a turbo'd mx5 and its got just the right amount of power. the new shape mx5s from 2005 onward s can be fitted with a turbo or cosworth supercharger also.300Hp in an MX5 is an awesome thing.

AND you get awesome handling too.

timmo1, Jan 22, 5:52am
What year!

I've just bought another MX5- A NB RS this time.much more refined and solid than my late NA. Both 1800's but the NB is much meatier.

fordcrzy, Jan 22, 7:12am
its an NA.the NB RS is a great car. go on turbo it.you know you want to!

timmo1, Jan 22, 7:54am
haha roll bar first so I can do some track days in this one.then.maybe.

richardmayes, Jan 22, 9:11am
V8!

4-rotor RX-8 engine, plz.