Mixing tyre profiles

monsieurl, Oct 8, 7:26am
Hi guys, i'm wanting to know if i can mix the profile of my tyres? ie replace two 255/35/18 with 255/40/18 on the same axle? Car is an 06 RS4.

I'm not planning on replacing the other 2 just yet as they are less than 1 year old PZero's but would prefer to go a step up in the profile. TIA

boss_hogg, Oct 8, 7:51am
Is the car All wheel drive? I'm no expert but would think all the rolling diameters would need to be the same for the longevity of your car.

Cheers

tamarillo, Oct 8, 7:59am
No. It's 4wd so must have same rolling diameter on all driven wheels.

monsieurl, Oct 8, 8:54am
Thanks guys, I had that feeling. will buy some cheapies and change them all next go ;)

unclejake, Oct 8, 9:49am
The rule of thumb with an AWD system used to be that a 5% difference in rolling diameter is OK.

An RS4 is a pretty special car

tamarillo, Oct 8, 5:59pm
I think that these days the electronics get upset even if actual drive chain doesn't, which I'm told it would on Quattro.

martin11, Oct 8, 8:02pm
The centre torque sensing diff would be working hard with different tyre sizes on a quattro possibly cause problems .
The following is out of my A6 Quattro workshop manual .

"On four-wheel drive vehicles tyres of the same type and tread pattern must be used. Otherwise the centre differential may be damaged. "

skin1235, Oct 8, 8:03pm
DON'T

DON'T

DON'T

just one out of size ( spare ) on the rear managed to tear the front diff to bits on my AWD in 60kms

mainlander05, Oct 8, 8:09pm
Yes well don't mess with Tyre sizes on Audi.
We just replaced a Tyre for an Audi was $850 because it was a run flat.have to replace with the exact Tyre they come out with as stated by Audi.
You can't and shouldn't try change things.

martin11, Oct 8, 8:10pm
What model did you have do this please ?

skin1235, Mar 8, 2:37am
wasn't audi, was full time 4wd, no center diff as they have LSD's on the front