Bad habits that get up your nose!

Page 2 / 3
2sheddies, Oct 5, 9:38am
Aren't they just. It never feels exactly right again. Having had them in a Maxima, and thinking how marvellous it was at first, I think I actually prefer the old lever and notch arrangement. Unless they have a memory function which mine doesn't.

whqqsh, Oct 5, 10:35am
people who don't move to the left or right to position for a turn in that direction but sit in the middle of the lane blocking everyone else or even worse have to do a hook turn to get around a corner! If turning right the have to do a little left swing first & usually just as you're going past on the inside

morrisjvan, Oct 5, 10:42am
people who don't give way or stop at an intersection, but swing around to the left and travel down the shoulder of the road trying to ''merge''
shooting is too good for them.

clark20, Oct 5, 10:45am
What's a handbrake?, park is adequate in most situations. I never have a problem.

2sheddies, Oct 5, 11:10am
Manufacturers don't install parking brakes for decorative purposes. If you were supposed to use the park pawl in the trans as the sole means of holding the car when parked, they wouldn't bother putting a handbrake there at all. It's a bad habit in my opinion.

I actually prefer to put the park brake on, then take my foot off the pedal, let the car settle, then put it into park, as I don't like it straining against the pawl. And the great huge clunk that happens when you have to wrench it out of park after it's all jammed up. Just my preference.

mimik3, Oct 5, 11:14am
Bad habits.
Well I could say, but seems i would upset people, and you cant do that on this message board.

ema1, Oct 5, 11:49am
Ripping the handbrake on almost up to a cable snapping extent is plain stupid, OK if parked on a steep incline but with car in park or 1st gear in a manual as well and I'd go to the extent of turning front wheel nearest the curb towards and against the curb.
One utterly stupid thing that I see happen all too often is tail gating, another is folks traveling so fast so they have to yank the brakes on for every curve in the roads.
Another that really hacks me off is idiots that don't have their lights turned on when poor light conditions are present like drizzle, fog and way after sunset.
Those idiots haven't yet worked out the fact that thinking they can see alright is OK, that doesn't mean that they can in turn be seen by other oncoming drivers.
I'd far sooner be seen with lights on rather than thinking I can be seen with my lights off, only those with "no tomorrow mentality" or those maybe a "few bricks short of a load" persist in doing that very thing.
Another annoying and inconsiderate thing and dangerous to boot is those drivers that fail to dip their lights, they are idiots as well and failure to do so should be met with big penalties if pulled over for such.

ema1, Oct 5, 11:58am
Slamming doors as 2sheddies says particularly if windows are NOT rolled right up really urks me to a big degree.

ema1, Oct 5, 12:05pm
Another thing that I consider is dangerous and I see it repeatedly is some folks thinking they are cool using only one hand on the steering wheel eg the left hand at the 2 o'clock position and the other arm & hand slouched out the drivers door window.
How the hell can you confidently control the steering with the left hand on the steering wheel (crossed over if you like) where the right hand should be placed.
The approximate 10 o'clock( left hand) and 2 o'clock (right hand) positioning on the steering wheel in straight ahead driving should be stipulated as accepted norm and deemed the safest method of hand positioning on steering wheels.
Those one handed drivers surely have only partial control of the steering when a big percentage of the time most folks have 2 hands actually available to steer the vehicle in a proper manner.
You have actually more time for both hands to be on the wheel in automatic cars which are the big percentage of cars on our roads these days . so no excuse IMO for being mentally/physically lazy when driving ANY vehicle AT ALL !

ema1, Oct 5, 12:15pm
Not if the parking sprag/pawl is suspect which does occur?
In park is fine on fairly level ground I agree, but that's about all.
That sickening sound of the automatic box rammed into park before the vehicle actually stops moving KKKKKKKKKKKK KER CLONK and the car jerks to a stop, makes the parking sprag/pawl suspect , been there and replaced damage auto box parts as a result several times.
Some makes of automatics are more prone than others.

ema1, Oct 5, 12:26pm
Exactly I'm the same and IMO it's not a bad habit to get into either.

clark20, Oct 5, 6:31pm
Yeah, most is only near level ground, like at work and home, or in a car park. Like I said no problems. If you get a big clonk when you more out of park you should have used the hand brake.

hydroman08, Oct 5, 6:40pm
Pretty sure they have adjusted that to 9 and 3 now (hence the positioning of steering wheel controls) :)

henreitta, Oct 5, 7:22pm
Cringe : when a guy takes off at a set of traffic lights at full speed and got one of those real loud exhaust pipes So much noise
. And its a wee 1300/ 1500 cc, . Automatic.

skiff1, Oct 5, 7:24pm
power steering. Do you lose control every time you take your hand off the wheel to change gear?

monaro17, Oct 5, 9:01pm
Some left foot brakers have a bad habit of resting their left foot on or over the brake pedal when moving- inadvertently applying just enough pressure to activate the brake lights. and then travel for miles with their brake lights illuminated. Can be extremely annoying and potentially dangerous

ema1, Oct 5, 10:28pm
I mentioned approximate ?

ema1, Oct 5, 10:41pm
That's daft as your "gear shift" hand isn't off the wheel for any length of time, or really shouldn't be IMO.
Actually I have observed odd times a vehicle doing a weave being caused by taking a hand off the wheel particularly with a power steer set up that requires a lot less input to have a resultant action from the steering compared to a heavy-ish manual steer set up?
A big percentage of cars these days are automatic anyway and there surely isn't the same need to have only just the one hand on the steering wheel for extended periods of time ?
I was referring mainly to the odd way some folks "sort of cross over their hand positions" as in left hand where the right would normally be and on occasion the opposite is also true. It's those one handed steerers have the right arm at times hanging out the window or just resting on window frame or similar that I reckon have perhaps less steering control.
It's common sense to assume one hand is NOT going to have the same balanced control as you'd have with both hands complementing each other.
IMO using both hands creates a natural balance . don't you think or is that too difficult for some folks to understand?
If folks prefer to drive in this manner then it's their choice I guess but I know which I prefer and consider to be the safer method for the long time I have been driving.
I for one prefer to be in FULL control AT ALL TIMES or indeed for as much as possible. PERIOD !
Laziness breeds contempt and that I consider to be a road safety issue right there, no doub't there will be the detractors to this. there always is . pity.

kyussr32, Oct 5, 10:42pm
"Inch Crawlers"- people at red traffic lights that crawl forward a few inches every couple of seconds, it aint gonna change any faster!

"Right Hangers" people tailgating but hanging as far right as possible so they can see past your car.

ema1, Oct 5, 10:58pm
There is an element of truth in this but as I stated originally and in another reply post I did say "approximate" positions?

ema1, Oct 5, 11:04pm
There would be a bigger tendency/chance to make some involuntary moves using one hand as against using two hands on the steering wheel, power steer would tend to accentuate this IMO.
I also reckon reaction times would be inferior when using one hand compared to both hands IMO?
P.S. I never mentioned "losing" control per say but did state "partial" control . big difference , perhaps not so big depending on the situation?

ema1, Oct 5, 11:11pm
One thing that was courting disaster was some drivers rolling up a roll your own cigarette while driving any vehicle.
My Dad was bad at doing it until my Mum hit the roof one day saying she wasn't going in the car with him ( us kids included) unless tailor made fags were bought and used on long drives.
Luckily my Dad kicked the filthy habit a few years after that event.
I remember the slight stain on the head lining too which was damn unsightly to say the least?
I often thought if smoking causes stains like that . what on hell is it doing inside the lungs, history tells all on that one.

neell, Oct 6, 12:21am
Ticket in Aussie if you leave a car without the hand break on, also if you leave it unlocked.

ema1, Oct 6, 1:30am
It is if they collide with you.

lugee, Mar 22, 2:25am
People who can't indicate at roundabouts. It's really not that hard. I told my folks off whenever I was in their car until they got it perfect.

People whose car is full of sh*t. The number of times I've gotten into a car to find the footwells full of burger king wrappers and crap like that. My cars' interior, and even the boot, is completely empty; can't stand crap in the car. Fairly sure the WOF inspector appreciates it, as I know I'd be finding a way to fail if I had to sort through piles of stinky rubbish to find seatbelts.