Reregistering car advice

a18a, May 13, 12:01am
I know this topic has been done a few times, but I went to vtnz to ask for advice and they weren't any help at all, wouldn't even give me a ballpark price (but I'm hoping less than a grand). I'd rather hear your guys knowledge and experiences anyway. I picked up a 2004 honda stream for scrap value which has suffered a little bit from tick-a-car-up-and-can't-af-
ford-to-run-it. It was imported in 07/13, the latest rego expired on 04/14 and not put on hold, meaning it would've just lapsed a couple weeks ago? Disregarding the lack of TLC in the last couple years (or more if it wasn't looked after in Japan), the car is still in great condition. I think it would be a waste to scrap it it, so I'm considering having it re-registered. I know when they re-comply it they do a full thorough check, but how thorough and what exactly do they go over? I would like to do this full check myself before committing to spending hundreds of dollars getting it recomplied just to have it knocked back by a scratch in the paint. Or are there any other things I should know about before attempting this? such as any of their silly reasons why such-and-such vehicles can and can't be registered . There's no money owing on the car (surprisingly), and the only proof of ownership I have is a letter from the previous registered owner signed saying that the car is mine now. is that good enough?

intrade, May 13, 4:28am
do you have the old registration plate number?
also garages cant revin deregod cars only vtnz can , you need to take it to the vtnz down near a1 wreckers and hardley normal down that road. Also best to trailer it there because the police given me a infringment notice 500 meter from the kamo testing station when i was getting a wof for my corolla that was on hold for 2 years , and i then had to write a registered mail to the cockroaches in wellington to proof that i was not driving abouts and claiming i was just going to the testing station for a wof as that is what the pig told me that everyone tells that lie and i was a liar like everone else.

jmma, May 13, 4:34am
Try putting it on hold again, might just work. (o:

kazbanz, May 13, 5:58am
a18a-costs WILL be
Recompliance fee-$400 ish
with that you'll get an MR2a
You have 12 months on a recomply in which to register the car.
Sitting on an MR2a for up to the 12 months costs nothing
Currently a stream costs about $300 to rego from MR2a -that will change after july 1 (not sure of the date in july)
A complince centre will
1) rip the wheels off and shoes/pads out.-brakes need to be 1/3 of normall thickness or more,Drums,disks need to be over minimum thickness.
2)look up under the car for any indication of corrosion and/or accident damage to the STRUCTURE. of the vehicle. A stream is monocoque so the sills are chasis.--no dings allowed.
3)suspension has to work and no leaks,ditto steering and brakes.
4) inside plastics/seatbelts ripped out. Looking again for rust/accident damage.
5)seatbelts checked for secure mounts/fraying/operation.
That's all the stuff you can check in advance.
its always better to have the new shocks/brakes etc already fitted if needed. saves time and the vehicle is judged based on what they see

a18a, May 13, 7:49am
Car still has the plates on it, VIN tag attached & etched in rear windscreen. From what I've read in the past, the VIN stays the same?

Where/how do I get this "statutory declaration of ownership" I assume this is not the usual MR13B?

Cheers kaz, I might just spend the next couple days stripping it naked and going over it with a fine toothed comb myself and giving it a real good tidy-up in the process. wonder if i could get a discount if i do all the dismantling for them lol

laspaz, May 13, 8:00am
Good info here, can anyone speak to how the requirements would differ for a 1962 VW?

a18a, May 14, 1:26am
well i pulled apart the car to check for rust, here is the worst piece.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/382509734.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/382509784.jpg
I assume this is an instant fail. I can easily cut that out and weld in a new piece, but then I would need to get a cert or whatever from a panel beater, correct?

a18a, May 14, 4:19am
aaaand just pulled off the front bumper to find a nice big kink in the frame rail of the car lol. oh well knew it was too good to be true, now to part it out and get my money back haha

supernova2, Jan 29, 5:48pm
Get on line and see if you can do a change of ownership on the existing plates. It mnay just work although its past the 12mths. If it does work then put it straight on hold till you can get a wof on it and you are good to go.