The top ten cars.

mm12345, Mar 17, 11:12am
. you shouldn't buy.

An Aussie perspective here:
http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/dogs-lemons-the-top-10-new-cars-you-should-not-buy

"The Toyota HiLux, Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi Triton, and Isuzu D-Max just don??

3tomany, Mar 17, 4:43pm
I was amazed, usually these lists are all a load of crap but I recon that one is not far from the mark

audi_s_ate, Mar 17, 6:07pm
Agreed - this is pretty accurate and good advice for a newbie.

clark20, Mar 17, 6:37pm
No, do not agree maybe 1/2 right

tgray, Mar 17, 6:56pm
Although the liberal use of metaphors and adjectives are funny, I can't help but think the descriptions are a direct copy of Jeremy Clarkson's writing style.
Interesting read all the same.

floscey, Mar 17, 7:01pm
Crikey , the local VW salesman not going to be happy.

tamarillo, Mar 17, 7:44pm
Hmmmm, not bad. Thinking he is pretty mean on vw, but they do deserve some of that in aus it seems.
Evoque gets 5 star on Eurocap, which is one they care about.

socram, Mar 17, 8:02pm
Evoque dismissed just because of a (dubious) crash test rating? I don't buy a vehicle to crash, I buy it to drive!

As it is just a dressed up rebadged Freelander with less headroom in the back, and we are on our third, the Evoque is just over-priced for what it is.

I'd still rather be driving an Evoque (cost aside) than anything else in its class.

mm12345, Mar 17, 8:35pm
Which 1/2 ?

saxman99, Mar 17, 9:37pm
So he would recommend a Holden Colorado, but not an Isuzu D-Max.

lazzo, Mar 18, 12:01am
Yeah I reckon some of it is pretty far fetched too!

I mean the 4x4 ute thing, I would have a Mitsubishi Triton, Nissan Navara or Toyota Hilux any day of the week over a Holden Colorado, and that Mazda BT-50 is friggin uggggggly!

The new car under $15k thing is pretty debatable too given the cars mentioned are really targeted at the blue rinse brigade and they're always going to buy new at 15k over used, while young and families should really go the other way.

A wee bit harsh on Volkswagen, I own a new Volkswagen and love love LOVE it!

He has got it right about the Falcon & Commodore, got it right about the South Korean Holdens and got it right about the Holden Cruze, otherwise the rest is pretty dubious.

brapbrap8, Mar 18, 12:29am
The ute thing is not very accurate, there is too much of a spread in price to really compare apples with apples in that market currently.
I like to group them by price/budget so it is more like:

$50k+ Ranger, BT50, Amarok, Hilux in that order.
$40k+ Dmax, Colorado, Navara in that order.
$30k+ Triton, Foton in that order.

Can't really compare a Ranger to a Triton, thats like trying to compare a V6 Commodore to an SS-V Redline, of course the more expensive one is better in every way.

The europhobic comments on VW are not very accurate in my experience, but the rest is pretty well right.

tgray, Mar 18, 12:29am
I reckon the Evoque is a dam fine looking vehicle.

socram, Mar 18, 4:50am
It is indeed, but as it has identical running gear to the Freelander, it doesn't justify the huge extra cost.

Freelander name is now dropped, but its replacement is the new Discovery Sport, but again, not sure that it will be affordable for us - which puts us in a quandary. I have been loyal to the BMC/Leyland/Rover/MG/Land Rover marques for almost 50 years with no complaints.

sgrants, Mar 18, 4:59am
Oh dear rebadged freelander = POS !
and yeah I'd buy a car cos it looked "dam fine"
Really guys ! ! !
that Aussie list was right on if you ask me ( I'm in the vehicle service/repair game so I do get to see first hand the common dogs and lemons)

socram, Mar 18, 6:13am
Your opinion! We wouldn't be on our third if we agreed with everyone who rubbished them. Last two bought brand new (both TD4s) have been 100% trouble free, with heaps of towing the project and race cars, so why would I look at anything else? My opinion.

poppy62, Apr 25, 3:16pm
I'm batting for the Merc. Why do they compare the Merc 1.6 diesel with a Mazda 2.2 diesel when the 2.1 Merc diesel is not much more than the 1.6. I don't agree with the assessments, mainly for the reasons that none of the vehicles mentioned are found dead in their droves on the side of the roads/motorways etc., as the writer would have everyone believe. Sensationalism, in order to sell their written word is tantamount to them much like NZ's own D&L guide.