Wheelbarrow Tyre

jancemord, Oct 7, 9:35am
I have a wheel thats 400.6 whats the difference between the .6 and .8 that is commonly found?

skin1235, Oct 7, 9:39am
2 inches

jancemord, Oct 7, 9:40am
In what direction? Could I use a .8 if the axel/bearings match?

skin1235, Oct 7, 9:48am
its either 6 inches across to bead, or 8 inches, never mind the axle, check the rim size, they both will not fit the other size
being a wheelbarrow it may even have a twin plate bolt together rim - don't even dream of fitting a 6 inch tyre on an 8 inch rim - you may even get to the stage of pumping it up before it turns to complete custard ( and quite easily take your arm off)

jancemord, Oct 7, 9:55am
was looking at replacing both the rim + tyre :)

skin1235, Oct 7, 10:02am
then yes, fit an 8 inch rim and tyre, - as long as the axle and bearings match the new rim size - they often don't, the 6 inch may well have a smaller axle

8 inch rim will mean easier pushing with heavier loads, especially on less than smooth surfaces

scuba, Oct 8, 5:05am
make sure there is room to fit within the frame and it doesn't rub on the underside of the barrow.- not to much space on some makes.

kecal, Oct 8, 5:28am
and they dont make them like they used too either (wheelbarrows) ive got my fathers one that must be knocking 50 60 yrs old, steel one covered in surface rust but still as solid as, it seems to thrive living out side.

lookoutas, Oct 8, 5:40am
What really brasses me off is the tyres keep going flat. I've put new tubes in, and they still go flat!
Buy a new wheel, and guess what?

Saw some tubeless ones on here. They're not cheap, but probably worth the bucks to eliminate the hassle and attempting to pull hair out.

skin1235, Oct 8, 5:49am
I use a silicon based product in the driving tyres on my tube wrapper, usually lasts about 3 yrs
like you got hacked off with flat tyres on the wheelbarrow so filled them too, excellent, just enough flex to handle concrete without pushing too hard, nice to know the tyre is never flat when you need it
its very similar to the clear silicon gap filler you get at mega for about $6 per tube, uses 2 tubes to fill an 8 inch tyre - just remove the tube and squirt it into the tyre then fit the tyre and squirt some more around under the beads, leave for a couple of weeks for it to cure before using, the longer the better

skin1235, Oct 8, 5:51am
on the wrapper the tyre disintergrates ( sidewalls ) but they still keep driving for months afterward

scuba, Oct 8, 6:25am
bit like the hand cart tyres- all of them lose air over time- waste of time fitting new tubes they leak from new.

poppy62, Oct 8, 7:21am
Supercheap autos sell a range of wheels (with bearings) suitable for wheelbarrows, garden trailers or small trailers, solid or pneumatic tyres and they're as cheap as chips.

retrohunter, Mar 12, 1:33am
There are a range of no more flats tyres available for wheelbarrows and handcarts.i too suffered from the always flat wheel syndrome on my hand trolley so changed to these .never had a problem since.