Side of timing belt sheared

barrylarry, Oct 12, 5:22am
into 70k. next replacement supposed to be at 100k. i have a spare belt that sitting idle.

the question is, if the side of the cambelt is sheared. does that mean a bad tensioner? i really cant afford a kit yet, esp with a viable timing belt sitting around

tintop, Oct 12, 5:25am
All it really means is that there is something wrong.

Is it a red car ?

barrylarry, Oct 12, 5:30am
yeah i know theres something wrong, thats why Im asking if its a symptom of a bad tensioner, which will cost me $200 for a kit. Hopefully not

or just a standard belt wear, which i have a belt sitting around for free.

the shear is only on one side of the belt

glang, Oct 12, 5:30am
I had this happen with a Corolla I owned. The locating pin for the tensioner which is a press fit in the block had come loose, worked its way out and rubbed against the belt, shredding the edges of it.

barrylarry, Oct 12, 5:42am
just wanting ideas before i go open the car.

cool thanks, my one is a corolla too EE90. gonna have a look on that.

mrfxit, Oct 12, 8:59am
Tensioner OR water pump bearings most likely worn.
Possibly crank pulley (harmonic balancer rubber loose)
Maybe even a twisted belt cover

kazbanz, Oct 12, 8:10pm
barry--Im sorry if this is blunt but--You can't afford a kit but you can afford a new engine?
That really is the guts of it. You need to find out why the cambelt has shredded the edge otherwise the new one will do exactly the same thing.-Unless the fault happens to actually be the belt itself.
given there are several possible options as to the cause I would be parking the car up until you can afford replacement parts.

barrylarry, Oct 12, 10:31pm
yeah youre right. opened it up, and there was a slight play on the tensioner and idler pulley, it was enough to eat the edge of the cambelt over time. i guess i wont be driving it for a while.

intrade, Oct 12, 10:34pm
go to partsmaster for prices ask for discount they print you a quote
make sure to have numberplate and all frame and engine number written down the more easy you make it for them the larger your discount will be

floscey, Oct 13, 12:08am
on those early 2e engines they either had a 20mm wide belt or a 24mm belt .Is it possible to fit the wide belt on where a narrow should have been ?

intrade, Oct 13, 12:20am
that depends on the lenght and teeth count now if you think logically.
and if the wider belt can run without rubbing down the bottom crank usually is where the belt is clamped with no play.
You should see how small the belt is on my punto and i got a video explaining what happens if the tensioner fails on youtube

wind.turbine, Oct 13, 12:31am
had my L200 so this, the mechanic put a washer behind the tensioner so it was cutting the belt. did 20'000km when I found the belt was half gone!

ignition328, Feb 18, 4:18pm
Honda h22a did this. It was a washer incorrectly fitted which screwed up the tensioner positioning.

You can throw the new belt on and drive it but that doesn't mean you can skip finding the cause or replacing anything down the line. I think the 2E is interference as well