Needing some info on Subaru legacy

Page 1 / 2
emmajanemayman, Mar 7, 4:48am
Looking at buying a 2006 Subaru legacy gtb wagon was wondering if anyone could give me some info on them as in common faults or issues they may have. Any info would be much appreciated thanks

tamarillo, Mar 7, 4:59am
Did this come up a wee while ago? Maybe needed bump.
This is the twin turbo model isn't it? I was warned of them as being darn right difficult unless really well serviced and looked after. It's a high performance engine with twin turbos so I guess that's to be expected. The auto has a different slightly lower tuned motor than the manual I believe.
Sorry not much help, need a subby fan i guess, but unless you really want the performance, and can find a real nice one with low k and bills to show maintenance, and you can afford to run it, maybe not great choice.
Advice I had was the six cylinder h6 would suit me better if I wanted decent power, though it is less performance orientated and doesn't have the bilstein suspension etc of the GTb. GTb a bit of a boy racer job me thinks.

shakespeare6, Mar 7, 5:11am
Single turbo 2006 think twin turbo was discontinued 2003

audi_s_ate, Mar 7, 5:22am
This - pretty reliable wagon - nothing like the twin turbo's of old. Get one with a good service history and past owner and it should be a pretty rewarding ownership. Supposedly more frugal than the H6 and quicker at that. Can eat gas if you stomp on it like anything though.

tamarillo, Mar 7, 6:12am
My apologies, did actually Google it as was unsure and someone needs to fix Wikipedia as it has the jap market gt-b (assume same as GTb) as twin turbo.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Legacy_(second_generation)#GT-B_.281996-1998.29

emmajanemayman, Mar 7, 6:41am
Thanks for the info haha so do you think it's worth it if I got 1 from a caryard?

tamarillo, Mar 7, 7:15am
It still a powerful thirsty machine, twin scroll turbo not twin turbos! Great car, fast etc, but is that what you want? If you don't need the power a standard model will be easier on gas and cheaper to run.
But me, I'd go for power. ,

emmajanemayman, Mar 7, 7:22am
I'm a bit of a motor head power inthusiaste haha so I want the power so r they a it more reliable to the previous models

emmajanemayman, Mar 7, 8:38am
That is perfect haha that is exactly what I wantd to hear

tamarillo, Mar 7, 9:12am
Sounds like match made in heav. Make that Japan.

meow_mix, Mar 7, 9:41am
The GT-B badge (Grand Touring-Bilstein) was used between 1996 and 2003 on earlier twin turbo Legacy wagons. The 2006 Legacy turbo is simply called GT, although it retains the Bilstein suspension. The 2006 model uses a single titanium turbo which gives awesome mid-range performance.

emmajanemayman, Mar 7, 7:29pm
Ether way these are the answers I was looking for as I'm very keen on getting 1 need a wagon for the family but as its my daily aswell want something to have some fun in to

tamarillo, Mar 7, 9:25pm
There's a lot of 2006 and 2007 GTB s for sale .

meow_mix, Mar 8, 5:38am
The sellers are getting confused which badge the car has, GT or GT-B. The 2003-2009 Legacy turbos were simply called GT, whether it is a sedan or wagon. There is confusion over the badging, one reason is Subaru decided to not place a badge on the back of the car, so people got confused what the car was called. I have seen the '03-'09 Legacy sedans described as B4 which is also incorrect. People think they are called GT-B because they have Bilstein suspension and GT-B was a badge people liked.

emmajanemayman, Mar 8, 6:30am
What are your thoughts on them meow_mix?

tamarillo, Mar 8, 6:39am
Appreciate clarification, what's confusing is that the importers/dealers are advertise them as GTb. Bet they register them as GTb too, so can hardly blame owner of the thing.

emmajanemayman, Mar 8, 6:42am
You see a lot at car yards advertised as gtbs. And does any one no any mager faults it?

ryanm2, Mar 8, 6:48am
The first GT-B appeared in 1993. Remember those wagons with the front bar and BBS alloys - they were actually a GT-B spec wagon (though unbadged). This causes more confusion when people list a 93-95 GT-B wagon. People always presume they started in 1996 with the facelift second gen wagons.

meow_mix, Mar 8, 6:54am
I think Subarus are some of the best cars in the world, they are one of the only cars built better than Toyotas. I have owned an older 1993 Legacy RS twin turbo for nearly 16 years and it is still going strong on it's original turbos from the factory, nothing has ever really gone wrong with it.

Subaru released the third generation Legacy in late 1998, for some reason this model has been unreliable compared with other earlier and later Legacys. The twin turbo models were problematic for blowing the big end bearings, head gaskets, primary turbos, and auto transmissions.

So the "old twin turbos" developed a bad reputation for reliability. This is what you are hearing about the earlier models. The primary turbos would fail bacause idiots would install big-bore exhausts and remove the catalytic converters, which reduced back pressure in the exhaust, which would cause the little primary turbo to spin too quickly which lead to turbo failure. The turbos are actually very good IHI ball-bearing turbos and if treated well could last a long time.

After that model Subaru released the newer Legacy in 2003, they went back to single turbo because some people didn't like the older twin turbos. As you've read here they are said to be more reliable. Don't buy a modified one it might have been thrashed, try to find one owned buy an older adult and hopefully it will have a turbo timer installed.

emmajanemayman, Mar 8, 7:01am
I'm looking at getting 1 from a car yard and the 5 star alarm I will be getting installed comes with a turbo timer built in I had 1 in my old s15 so you think this would be a good buy then?

ryanm2, Mar 8, 7:05am
I agree - Suby's are great. Just went back to a lancaster 6 from an 07 outback. They are generally cheap cars (compared to others from same era and same spec) and offer great bang for buck.

meow_mix, Mar 8, 7:23am
I don't know enough about the particalar one you are looking at, how many kms, any mods, Jap import or NZ new etc. But as far as this model goes then yes I would recommend it.

emmajanemayman, Mar 8, 7:28am
That's good enough for me haha the particalar car I'm looking at is a 2006 with 96,000km on it and is an import I think

jason_247, Mar 8, 8:14pm
modern turbos really dont need a turbo timer.
they are all bearing and the newer oils can handle the heat.
subaru generally water cool their turbos anyway so unless you are ringing it out and stop straight away without 2-4 mins of normal driving first, you wont get any benefit except wasting fuel.

_peas, Mar 9, 3:54am
You'll be up for a 100,000km major service incl. cambelt. With that in mind let that reflect the offer you make considering you probably have the fat end of $1,500 maintenance just round the corner. I just purchased a 3.0R and love it. As does the insurance. The 2006 will see you into a facelift with SI drive and paddles behind the steering wheel if its an auto as opposed to buttons on the wheel. Pretty good cars and I couldn't really find any other worthwhile Jap wagons of that era that did anything for me. M35 Stagea was on the radar but the Mrs would have left me with that styling. she promised.