Needing some info on Subaru legacy

Page 2 / 2
jason_247, Mar 13, 1:52am
Will tag on here rather than create a new thread for now.

im looking at an 04-06 legacy too but non turbo.
Reading online the specs ive found show the 2.5l being almost 40hp down on the 2.0l with similar torque.
I see its single cam rather than the 2.0l dohc but thats alot of power to lose without a gain in torque.

anyone got an input as to whether the 2,5 is worth bothering with.

would like a 3.0l but a little pricey at the mo

_peas, Mar 13, 9:04am
The 2.0i is a SOHC. There is a 2.0R with the DOHC heads that creates substantially more power than the poverty pack model. I didn't see much price difference between the n/a models really. The 3.0R uses more fuel but not by that much based on my two weeks experience. and you get 250hp to put a grin on your face. FYI the onboard computer is telling me that its drinking approx 12l/100km mainly round town driving, maybe 20% motorway which I am pretty happy with.

tamarillo, Mar 13, 9:37am
Peas has it, couple years back when looking for new used motor I looked at legacy and got thoroughly confused especially as many have odd model names from jap market and many sellers didn't gave a clue which motor it had, and I'm talking dealers here. The basic 2 litre was sohc but the better dohc has almost same hp ax 2.5 but less torque. Even then it ain't a lot and the Honda accord I ended up with out performed them completely. I found them gutless.
Worse is that the 4 cylinder ones only had 4 sped auto and that just isn't enough even in mid 90's. The 6 and turbo ones had 5 speed.

jason_247, Mar 14, 9:26am
test drove a few today.
every 2.0 i found was sohc. including an 07. despite reading online that all the 2.0l from 2006 on were dohc.

think im settling on a 2.5l as i really like the outback version.

sport_billy, Mar 14, 9:53am
Get the 3.0.

Hardly much more fuel used but completely better performance, safer on the open road and more economical and comfortable with the 5 speed auto (vs 4 speed in the 2.0/2.5 versions)

_peas, Mar 15, 1:47am
I'll second that. The EZ30 is a totally different beast to the older EJ25. The fuel usage would be more down to your driving style than the disp. difference between these two models. They really can go when you want them to but most of the time do things with no fuss or drama.

sport_billy, Apr 29, 4:41pm
I actually upgraded to a newer 3.6 outback.
Same again - not a huge difference in consumption to the 3.0