Difference between passenger and suv tyres?

billyfieldman, Oct 20, 11:06pm
What's the difference between passenger car tyres and SUV tyres?

Can passenger car tyres be used on SUVs as long as the tyre size and load rating matches the OEM tyres?

SUV tyres such as Grandtrek, Geolander, GT Radial VP1 are good for tracks and mud but reviews generally not so good for wet roads and noise on roads.

wind.turbine, Oct 20, 11:17pm
I have Bridgestone all terrain tyres on my Triton and have absolutely no road noise,not too bad on wet roads ether.
its all about not pushing the limits on wet roads tbh

tamarillo, Oct 21, 12:01am
Yes they can.
If size and load rating is right different styles of tyre are down to your need. If you only ever are on road use road tyre as it's designed to do that job best.
If you do go up ski field, sometimes cross a paddock etc use SUV tyre which has deeper wider cuts to displace mud, snow, etc. they are not as good at being a road tyre but most are totally adequate for SUV driving.
Or if you go off road a lot get a more aggressive off road tread with less compromise.

brapbrap8, Oct 21, 12:06am
Do they make passenger car tyres in 265/65-17?

In your typical SUV the noise and handling is not great anyway so road noise and road holding from the tyres is not really an issue.

Premium SUVs like the VW Toureg, Porsche Cayenne etc use 19-21 inch wheels with low profile passenger car tyres because they are quieter and better performing vehicles so the tyres do make a difference.

billyfieldman, Oct 21, 7:07am
Not sure about 265 size but they are available for the 215.

billyfieldman, Oct 21, 7:12am
Probably 90% or more of the time would be road so it's good to know I can use car tyres.

billyfieldman, Oct 21, 7:14am
Is it the Dueler A/T?

kazbanz, Oct 21, 7:14am
billy-short version YES
There are several requirements that offroad tyres have that normal road tyres don't. If there is no intention to use the vehicle offroad then a pure road tyre will be fine. However do be aware that one of the requirements of offroad tyres is thicker sidewalls to protect against stone cuts.

skin1235, Oct 21, 7:16am
yes you can, but be aware most offroad tyres have a stiffer and stronger side wall - this effects noise and ride on the road but also protects the tyre from damage in the rough, something your average car tyre has very little or no protection for
town tyres do not last diddly when bouncing across rough terrain

edit, snap kaz, I must be a slow typer

skin1235, Oct 21, 7:20am
you will also find that the average town tyre is more expensive than an average country tyre

just fitted 245/65/15's A/T's to my SUV with 6 ply equiv walls and decent grip, no noise on the road either, for $154 each, and that wasn't on a special

billyfieldman, Oct 21, 7:40am
Thicker walls would be good to have because I need to drop people off at the Tongariro walk carpark which I remember is accessed via a short bumpy unsealed road full of stones.

billyfieldman, Oct 21, 7:44am
That's a good price. Which tyres are these? I got quoted average of $250 each for 215-60-17.

tweake, Oct 21, 8:03am
the real difference between them is load ratings.
its not really about type of tread or sidewall made to resist cuts etc.
car, suv and commercial are made to handle different weights and you need to fit a tyre thats suitable for the weight.
for eg i do know of someone who got done for having car tyres on a van.

bwg11, Oct 22, 11:44pm
Also note that the current fashion of 20/21 inch rims and 40 section tyres on "premium SUV's" (another posters words, not mine) totally defeats the purpose of off-road tyres. No protection of the rims against rock damage and un-reinforced sidewalls. Much better suited to parking out-side private schools than up a riverbed, in fact, what do you see up riverbeds? Terrano's, Surf's, Prado's, Landcruisers and Discos, all on 15-17 inch rims with 65 or 70 section tyres. You see some ridiculous stuff, just today saw a 2WD Ranger on 21" rims, lifts and quite an aggressive tread pattern.

billyfieldman, Jan 7, 8:37am
The price of the same tyre can vary by as much as $50 per tyre between shops in the same area.