Can you correctly ID these 70's cars?

Page 2 / 2
3tomany, Aug 13, 3:07am
12/12 to easy

durham12, Aug 13, 9:28am
14 out of 12 how's that?

socram, Aug 13, 9:44am
They did two and four door, so not at all unusual in the UK, though probably not many in NZ. (I brought a 2 door 1750cc Equipe to NZ in 1983.)
Like a comment above, I am stumped with many modern cars unless I can see the badge.
At the 1959 London Motorshow, the new offerings from the major manufacturers were Ford Anglia, Triumph Herald, Mini. I doubt anyone could ever have confused them - then or now.
Whatever you think of those 1970's cars, they are over 40 years old now and things have progressed. If you weren't around then, your attitudes will have been coloured by later offerings, in the same way we scorned vintage and immediate prewar cars, in the 1950s.

russell.s.c, Aug 13, 10:50am
12/12 and Allegros came in two and four door versions.

solarboy, Aug 13, 11:06am
12/0 (?) Just not my day :-)

beetle1234, Aug 13, 12:34pm
An wot was wrong with with the Allegro,they went like a shower of shit,used to handle like a mini,as long as you keep,d ya foot up em,great in the snow and ice,bloody great in the or more to say what gravel roads are around now,punched along they drove bloody well,then there was the Maxi,nother story. Sometime,s poster,s forget and compare , . how much fun these ole tart,s were to drive,but back then ABS an GPS,Air bag,s,LSD if you were lucky,was a bloody damnsight more fun to drive than. -
. (fill ya boot,s) bullshit that one drive,s now.
. what about a Datsun 1200,lsd,twin carb,s,closeratio gbox,shitload of fun,hell you could get a ton out of the Maxi an it was like driving down the road on a magic carpet,shitload,s a fun.

whqqsh, Aug 13, 6:03pm
I had a Maxi, twin carb, 5 speed. My mate had just bought his V8 HQ & was pissed when the maxi went past him on the motorway when he was flat out & I was only in 4th. Turned out it was only off the line with his auto he'd have me for the first little bit then I haul him in & bye bye. mind you he soon found his first V8 being a 253 probably wasn't a great choice lol

crosis_nz, Aug 14, 1:26am
The spare one is on display at the Top Gear exhibit at Beaulieu. Also has many of the other classic challenge cars too. Was a lot of fun to visit.

crosis_nz, Aug 14, 1:27am
Wow I am getting old!

100% on identification, but only around 65% on ownership. Between my dad, my brother and I I think the only ones I have never had the chance to use are the Aston, the Porsche, and the Mustang. I even got to drive an E-type a few times but never on a regular basis like the others. Throw in a few other classics like an old Bond Equipe, an MG, an Imp, a Rolls (on loan for 3 whole months!) and a Stiletto and I didnt realise just how many old cars I have owned or used.

tgray, Aug 14, 5:33am
12/12. I guess I am showing my age.

mrfxit, Aug 14, 5:42am
Yep always used to know what car was behind you at night by the size, height & placement of the lights plus any reflections from bumpers & grills

Can't tell shite now, just as likely to be a hatchback as it could be a limo

franc123, Aug 14, 6:43am
I don't think 2 doors were assembled or sold here officially, most were 4 door 1300 manuals but 1500 autos were also sold here IIRC, there was definitely no 1750's officially imported. Remember the estate? It looked like the rear had been heated up, melted and stretched!

franc123, Aug 14, 6:53am
Considering both of those there was probably similar power to weight ratios involved, in fact the Maxi might have been slightly better.

seadubya, Aug 14, 7:35am
As kids we used to play a game with dad, where we would race to be first to id oncoming cars, day or night. I can't do that these days.

joanie04, Aug 14, 8:15am
13/12 as well for me and I am female. Didn't even look at the badges. Mind you with dad and my brother both being mechanics I have a reasonable knowledge.

socram, Aug 14, 9:39am
The Equipe I brought over was a two door, (fitted with the 1750cc Hi-Line Maxi twin carb engine). Good for 100mph (just) and better torque than any other 4 cylinder car on the market at the time.

The 1300cc Allegro did in fact handle just like a Mini - but with decent brakes. The 1750cc was a tad too heavy at the front and the gearchange wasn't the best, but the most under-rated car I have ever owned or driven.
Apart from a 50c circlip on the driveshaft, never ever let me down and I'd buy it back tomorrow if it was still around, available, and restorable.
They may have been a joke to many, but I have many fond memories of the 2 1300s and the 1750 I owned.

mk3crazy, Aug 15, 6:15am
Had to guest two but still got 12 out 12 and of cause I own one of them, a English two door Ford Cortina Mk3.

lookoutas, Aug 15, 6:49am
Had to have a double take on the Aston, as I first thought it might have been a Ferrari trip-up as every thing else was so tame.

Feel guilty tho - didn't even twig that the Mustang was from the wrong decade.

gabbysnana, Aug 15, 6:52am
Got 12 out of 12 and have driven 9 out of the 12.

gilco2, Aug 15, 7:05am
too easy. Most were new when I was apprentice and apart from 2 on the list worked on and drove most listed over the years

curlybear446, Aug 15, 7:12am
I got 11/12. The green one got me. Changed my mind from the correct one to the incorrect one. Good quiz though it could have been tougher. I'm a car nut ! The older the better.
http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2013/12/from-classifieds_16.html

ema1, Aug 15, 11:37pm
12/12 easy peezy worked on and driven most of them too.

clark20, Aug 18, 7:38am

frank1, Sep 29, 2:37am
Always remember the HB Viva when I was working at Wright Stevensons in Upper Hutt,From memory every 3rd one out of General Motors Upper Hutt-the gear lever used to come out of the gearbox-then they brought out a mod.
Anyway drove some of these cars -but still got 12/12.