Work out gas cost

jason28nz, Jan 8, 4:30am
Hi I'm looking at buying a 2008 Holden V6 and I was told its 10 litres/100km just trying to work out what it cost me to run it as I do just over 156kms a day for work any help would be good Thanks

clark20, Jan 8, 4:33am
So 16L a day at $2 is $32 a day

jason28nz, Jan 8, 4:35am
Ok that's not to bad then Thanks

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 4:37am
What sort of running is it though?
10l/100km may be the combined figure, if you are doing city running, lots of short runs etc it could be significantly more, if it's all open road long trips a bit less.

10l/100km is probably a bit too optimistic as well, unless it's mostly open road running. Here are some real world figures from Commodore V6 owners, if it doesn't display in l/100km just change it on the left.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/holden/commodore?engineconfig_id=13138&bodystyleconfig_id=&submodel_id=

jason28nz, Jan 8, 4:42am
It's all open road from Wanganui to P North and back each day

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 4:44am
10 is probably a reasonable figure to use then, might even do a touch better if you are lucky!
The only exception is probably if you were doing lot's of stops and starts, like delivering things along the way.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 4:47am
Also. be aware that because of the km's you are doing that is still going to add up to quite a lot. Remember there are comfortable, safe cars out there that will literally be half the running cost and still have plenty of go for passing, when you are doing 40'000km or more a year that will add up to quite a lot. Even if you were only doing 5 days a week and no personal running, that's $4000 a year difference, or a pretty decent holiday, whichever way you want to look at it.

jason28nz, Jan 8, 4:57am
Thanks for your help sum thing to think about now as sum weeks I'm working 7days a week

tuttyclan, Jan 8, 7:57am
My 1997 Honda Accord VTi 2200 cc automatic averages about 7.5 litres per 100 km on the open road.Manual would be even cheaper.Its a very comfortable car to travel long trips.I can happily drive 600km a day in it,no problem.If you want even better economy go for a Civic 1600 cc around the same era and you will be looking at around 6.5 litres per km.Try and get a manual over an automatic.Most of these cars will do 400,000 plus km if well maintained.Might be a good idea to pick up a good well maintained older one and run it over 400,000km to offset depreciation.If these are too old then any newer model Civic or Accord will have similar fuel economy and even more power.Goodluck.

40wav, Jan 8, 8:27am
My 1996 VS ute would do 9L/100km on open road driving, so I would hope for the same or better from a vehicle 12 years newer and with more modern technology.
In saying that though, I could get it to do about 13L/100km round town, playing a bit.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 8:36am
That will affect things even more, something else to think about is service intervals. These could roll around every two months doing that sort of milage, depending on what you drive etc, they also represent another significant cost.

If I was doing that sort of milage, I would be considering a VW/Skoda/Audi (all same company) product running either the 1.4 Turbo (not slow) or the 2.0 Diesel (also not slow).

The 1.4 will do 5l/100km easily for that sort of running and all VW product cars can be set on variable service intervals. This means the computer can lengthen the service interval dependant on the sort of running you are doing. For your use you will likely find the computer will only schedule a service every 25'000km or so depending on how hard you drive it.

The Golf is the popular option (most popular car by volume in the world by current sales volume by a long shot) but if you want something larger the Passat or Skoda Octavia would be good options too.

The best thing to do is to take one for a drive and see for yourself what they are like. If you are used to large 6 Cylinder cars it's going to be hard to grasp the concept of a 1.4 being almost as quick (the higher output version of the 1.4 will actually leave a mid 2000's 4 speed auto commodore 6 for dead, not so sure how the later ones you are looking at will compare just off hand).

The Passat and Skoda are favourites over seas for Police and commercial travellers. If serviced properly those engines and transmissions can do massive km's and overall running costs are ultra low. Even here in NZ companies like Coca Cola run VW's because you get ultra low running costs while retaining safety/comfort/capability.

quickbuck, Jan 8, 8:41am
Get a Clubsport. Our VX2 (Manual) easily averages 10.9 l/100k. Okay it costs $2.08 (at todays prices) more in fuel for every 100k but the power and the fun you have over the V6 there is no question on which is the better car. Okay, sitting in Milson Line or Rangatikei Street in Rush Hour really wrecks any fuel economy, but we don't go into town at those times.
Seriously though, the V6 will be a little more economical on tyres/ maintenance and will be nice and comfortable for the trip.

Fuel is the cheapest thing you put in the car.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 8:47am
Not having a go at you here, but you have to really think about the km's the poster is doing.

I agree you want to enjoy what you are driving doing that sort of milage, but assuming a fuel price of $2 (and the current low won't likely last long) and assuming just 10l/100km for the open road running. That's still $6000 a year extra (over a Golf or similar), plus more again for the extra servicing over some other options.

If the extra fun is worth the extra $6000+ then by all means, but that is a lot of cash. $115 a week before you even take servicing, dearer tyres, brakes, increased tyre wear etc in to account.

You say fuel is the cheapest thing you can put in your car. I wonder what on earth you would be putting in it that costs more than $12'000 a year? !

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 9:04am
A little retraction.
Just looked up the numbers on the old 4 speed V6 Commodore. I remembered wrong, performance vs the high output 1.4 Golfs etc would only be similar.
None the less, you should get my point, 3.6 litres vs 1.4 with half the consumption and similar performance is still very impressive, especially when you are saving well over 6K a year.

msigg, Jan 8, 9:36am
The Holden v6 will be a very comfortable car doing those km, Look at all the com taxi around, they are lasting very well clocking up huge km, reliability is what you need, larger size is also what you need doing open road driving/comfortable and safe, you cant beat the holdens and falcon for that sort of running. Ask around the traps see what's going on, I think you know. Good luck and safe driving.

vtecnet, Jan 8, 10:05am
I do 30,000k a year in my E39 5 Series 530i Motorsport BMW, averaging 9.5L/100k on road trips, but for general commuting 10.8L/100k (1/2 is Town driving).

But i find that its worth the cost, as its so quiet and comfortable, you can easily drive it 500k without stopping and when you get out after reaching your destination you really don't feel like you have driven it that far.

I think the low road noise helps a lot with not feeling as tired.
Cruise control is handy too, it can be easy to speed when the cars so quiet at 100k.

Holdens are a good option too of course, but you tend to pay a premium due to the popularity.
Two friends with VE Series 1's have had timing chain stretch issues, the fix was about $6000 approx according to one of them, seems excessive though.

I have driven a few Holdens, but don't rate them as being as good to drive or as refined as a 5 Series BMW for 1/2 the price used.

The downside with the BMW is all the plastic parts that need replacing due to age, such as thermostat housing, header tank, radiator, valve cover (in some cases), Oil separation valve and related hoses, etc etc etc.

However a lot of modern cars have all these useless plastic parts.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 10:13am
The thing is though. size/comfort/equipment/safety/-
power and economy don't have to be mutually exclusive anymore.

Realistically a Golf is plenty comfortable for doing 157km a day, those that don't think so likely haven't driven a late model Golf any distance.

Anyhow. even if you really did HAVE to have the last word in size and comfort you could run a large VW, Audi, BMW etc with a very powerful Diesel that gives similar performance to a mid 2000's V6 commodore and still enjoy nearly half the running cost.

You still get all the same features, size and comfort.

There is a reason why big companies don't tend to run Commodores anymore, even for their executives. There just isn't any point. Not when countries like the UK and Germany who have expensive fuel and large distances to drive have spent hundreds of billions developing luxury cruisers that are cheap as chips to run. Specifically with commercial travellers doing exactly this sort of ting in mind.

Remember the OP is doing twice the mileage you do too.

next-to-normal, Jan 8, 10:16am
we have a v6 holden here, and what a gas guzzler they are, we dont use it,will convert to lpg if we are going to keep it

vtecnet, Jan 8, 10:19am
I agree, just imagined the OP wants a big car, which is why I mentioned mine.
I did 12,000k in a Mk5 Golf GTi (Well, it was a GTX really, but same engine) in 4 months.
I averaged 8.7L/100k for my commute, which was good, I don't drive economically as such and the GTI isn't designed to be super economical, those 1400cc models are really impressive for economy.

Passats seem to be really good value right now too, I've been tempted to get one myself.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 10:24am
Converting to LPG isn't likely an economical option vs selling it and buying a more efficient car. Do that math yourself and see, I have looked at it a number of times for our use and it's never worked out.

The whole Commodore/LPG thing really only works in my opinion if you limit yourself unnecessarily from the full range of vehicles available. The trouble is (and I hate speaking generally but for sake of simplicity) Japan as a whole doesn't really do economical large cars, or really particularly economical cars full stop, at least not ones that are available here second-hand for reasonable money.

If you limit yourself to Aussie or Japan only you often wind up making silly compromises. The other easy mistake to make is to assume comfort between the likes of a Nissan Tiida or similar ilk and a Golf/BMW etc is going to be similar because they are similar sized vehicles. Or that you have to have a hybrid for economy, when even a Prius of the age group will use notable more fuel than a standard petrol Golf for this running. A Hybrid Camry even more again and with a miserable luggage compartment and many other compromises.

There are a few exceptions (like some Honda product) but they generally still have some compromise over what else is available.

vtecnet, Jan 8, 10:32am

clark20, Jan 8, 7:43pm
The VE commodore is an excellent car, easy and comfortable to drive. Nice "proper" auto the is not clunky or jerky, nice torquey engine and OK economy. Big unstressed engine lasts a long time. Safe and stable it is a good car. Rear wheel drive and good chassis make for nicer handling than FWD. I have driven golfs and Passats and my Commodore is sooo much nicer for me (my opinion)

msigg, Mar 6, 6:26pm
The Hybrids are only useful around town, they are really designed for stop start motoring which is where they save the Taxi companies Thousand of dollars per year, that is why they use them along with the total reliability package. Just to mention whatever you get it will depreciate rapidly doing those km, The Holden will probably hold it's value better than the others to some degree. The BMW is a good option, don't go near the big Audi, I was speaking to a CEO last week who went from a Audi to the latest com wagon and he said it was the best move ever. The Audi was a nice car but the problems were unbelievable in cost. The com is just so easy to drive with power to burn. Open road you do want the size, it's your home away from home so no little car is going to compete.