What should I use to clean headlight perspex

Page 1 / 2
denisue, Sep 7, 9:57pm
It was brought to my attention that the headlights on my car, the Perspex
has faded, it actually looks yellow. Road film? The headlights are not very strong, that is probably why, lost the bright clear look.
What is the recommended product to clean them with.
Or do I have to take it somewhere to be cleaned professionally?

gsimpson, Sep 7, 10:03pm
You can get a compound from suppliers like Repco or supercheap etc. Or just use toothpaste.

m16d, Sep 7, 10:04pm

kazbanz, Sep 7, 10:04pm
You have no reason to know this but its been covered off many many times before. IE its a common issue.
There isn't any one "fix" for the job because several methods work to varying degrees. From toothpaste and a damp cloth to getting a professional to rejuvenate and coat the lenses.
MY suggestion to you is to go to super cheap auto and buy a kit By Rainex called a headlight restoration kit
Follow the instructions and you will get a good result.

tintop, Sep 7, 10:52pm
With the kit you get the everything you need including instructions and more importantly the coating fluid that restores the clarity and helps prevent the problem recurring.

melonhead1, Sep 7, 11:16pm
I used a finishing sander with 400 to 2000 grit sandpaper and then put four coats of clear coat on and then 2000 grit wet sanded that and then buffed it and its sweet. Its lasting well.

denisue, Sep 7, 11:21pm
Sandpaper would be a bit harsh, lots of scratches one would think.
Super Cheap Auto here I come.
Headlight restoration kit to be purchased.
Thank you everyone.

andy61, Sep 8, 12:33am
I have done this , but started with a much finer sandpaper, then buffed the lenses with car polish, came up looking like new.

quickbuck, Sep 8, 12:44am
Yup, I recommend off to Super Cheap place for you.
BTW, 400 grit isn't that harsh and 2000 is possably smoother than paper!

However if you are not a pro, I wouldn't recommend it as results will vary.

vtecintegra, Sep 8, 2:24am
The kits come with abrasive pads that are pretty much sandpaper anyway.

Note that even with the sealant included its only ever a temporary fix

denisue, Sep 8, 3:10am
If I attacked it with sandpaper the headlights would no longer be able to shine through the Perspex.
What is it that is actually being removed? Build up of what?
Bitumen, diesel, rubber, exhaust fumes are my best guesses.
Why have I never experienced this with other cars, or have I just not noticed?

intrade, Sep 8, 3:22am
the surface is like a mountain range what you do is remove the high spots and clean the low spots of dirt with the cleaning kits
http://www.bpauto.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2-stage-illustration.jpg

intrade, Sep 8, 3:23am
re*11 your other car probably had glass headlights they are more resistant and uv light dont affects glass like it does plastics

melonhead1, Sep 8, 3:42am
Really? That must be why my headlights that I used sandpaper on are so cloudy that I can read the tiny text on the bulb through.

kazbanz, Sep 8, 5:46am
Denisue-400 grit sandpaper used WET isn't very coarse at all.
The kit contains abrasive pads and the coarsest is roughly 400-600
The "buildup" is in part discoloration of the actual plastic of the headlight.
You'll see the instructions in the kit.
One IMO important point is to use lots of water as lubricant.

lookoutas, Sep 8, 7:09am
A post like this indicates that you don't know squat about this, but you have done the right thing by coming on here seeking advise.
You have received the best and most correct advise by people who know what they're on about, so don't question it.

ignition328, Sep 8, 7:32am
Do burnouts till the headlights are lost in the haze. You won't be able to see the faded plastic anymore, problem solved.

clark20, Sep 8, 7:54am
PC has to be hard coated (clear spray) to be compliant as a headlamp, but even this stuff goes off (like paint) and goes yellow. Sand it off and yes the lamps are clear for now, and UV will now get into the PC, which will be harder to fix. But that could be years away.

john1623, Sep 8, 8:16am
Try brasso if it is not to bad

tintop, Sep 8, 8:56am
Ultra Violet (Uv) from the sun light damages almost all plastics to a greater or lesser degree.

In the case of polycarbonate it is adsorbed near the surface and turns it murky.

There are a plenty of vehicles in the 15 year old or so with this problem.

Sanding removes this layer, the coating fluid in the kit has the same refractive index as polycarbonate, it fills the scratch marks and dries to a clear smooth surface. It also provides protection against Uv.

denisue, Sep 9, 5:14am
Lookoutas: I don't know squat about cloudy headlight covers, you are right.
I have never experienced it on a car before, I have only owned cars since 1972, so not long. They were British Leyland manufactured for the first five cars, glass, chrome. Easy to clean and shine. The last three have been Japanese. Holden Barina, Honda Logo, and now this Toyota Vitz.

lookoutas, Sep 9, 5:51am
I wasn't being critical of your knowledge, we all have to learn new things, and I've learnt heaps off here. Big thing is, that you've asked.
Now you have all the answers to rectify your problem.

tintop, Sep 9, 6:00am
Ahhh! British Leyland with the ever reliable glass at the front of the Lucas headlights.

Pity about the electrical side!

dave653, Sep 9, 7:29am
I've used regular. you probly have it, cream polish (for paintjobs). Worked a treat, took two minutes each side.

tintop, Sep 9, 9:56am
Mine took 15mins each side using 400 grit sanding sponge, then a finish with 600 wet and dry, finally with the coating fluid.

It would be a month with toothpaste, brasso, cutting paste, etc etc. :)