Subaru Impreza 1998 HX 20s

panicky, Dec 9, 5:36am
well it will cost a lot more in gas and you will need to budget $800-$1000 to do a cambelt (properly)and about $250 to do the rocker cover gaskets when they leak.

lil_miss_moo, Dec 9, 5:45am
@panicky - Cambelt, water pump and tensioner was replaced at 150k (its done 180k km). I am not sure about the rocker cover gaskets, I will be having a look at the car tomorrow.

nesta129, Dec 9, 5:50am
Yup check on those gaskets! My sister was given a subaru station wagon for free and while it was a good gesture from a friend,that car ate money and fuel like nothing.
Leaking rocker cover gaskets which were fixed,then a blown headgasket then gearbox failure.We were glad to see it go.She has gone back to having hondas for trouble-free living.

kcf, Dec 9, 6:49am
Thirsty cars.

I've a friend with the HX20, and it uses only fractionally less petrol than their previous turbo WRX.

Only it has half the performance.

I too would suggest a Nissan over the Subaru.

However, it's your money at the end of the day :)

tamarillo, Dec 9, 6:51am
Well I get you not wanting the pulsar, one of the most boring horrid cars to ever blight our roads. IMO! (Apologies to owners).
Subarus seem to have loyal following and some get great service from them, but there is that boy racer image, and it will use more gas.
Other choices that might suit all parties include Hondas, civic, prelude both have sound oily bits and are nice cars.
And the good old Toyota Corolla and it's brothers and sisters, surely family cannot object to a Toyota!