Mazda replacement smart key options?

aboylikedave, Nov 28, 1:40am
Hi there. I have a 2005 Mazda Premacy and the keyless smart remote (credit card style) has stopped working, so I have to use the built in spare key to unlock and start.

Mazda are quoting 240 + GST for the key and 80 + GST to reprogramme.

Are there any cheaper options available to get a new remote plus key? It doesn't have to be a credit card or keyless remote - a 'traditional' key with remote unlock buttons in the body would be fine.

Any recommendations or experience of aftermarket options and/or excellent locksmiths?

a.woodrow, Nov 28, 5:20am
Sorry I don't know of any other options, but I'm just going to say that the price you have quoted is actually really cheap for a replacement smart remote

saxman99, Nov 28, 6:06am
x1
Tell ya what. Pop into your local friendly Mercedes dealer and tell them you need a replacement proximity key for your 2015 Merc. After you recover from that, you'll realise you don't feel so bad about the Mazda key cost.

topgear01, Nov 28, 6:07am
I presume you have replaced the battery in the "credit card" remote. I think they are a 2032, or similar.

2get1, Nov 28, 6:11am
our proximity key for 06 Toyota Bb stopped working and had to resort to the emergency manual key. Replaced the battery in the proximity key and all was well again. What I did find out tho, is that if you only have the one proximity key. It is by far cheaper and easier to get a replacement before you loose the only one you have. Difference in price was like $400 if you have the orginal still, closer to like $1k if you have lost the orginal

kazbanz, Nov 28, 8:03am
Have you tried just replacing the battery.--fairly easy to do in mazda chip keys.

aboylikedave, Nov 28, 8:18am
Thanks for battery suggestions, I have replaced it but no joy. The case is a bit knacked so I don't know if it is that rather than the electronics. From what I can gather a failing credit card smart key is not uncommon.

kazbanz, Nov 28, 8:24am
before you give up--make sure the battery is right way up.
Getting a replacement card key Ive a suggestion in west Auckland

aboylikedave, Nov 28, 8:48pm
Suggestions gratefully received.

kazbanz, Aug 27, 10:32am
iffen you foned dis dealah fullah ova westy tohn he'd prolly give ya a few numbas to cal.
(stupid tm no Self promotion rules)