U k Caravans

woody281, Nov 9, 6:51am
Positives and negatives please.

survivalkiwi, Nov 9, 7:04am
We hired one for 4 weeks. The night we got it I wanted to buy one.within the week I was off them.
Pros.
Look good.
Tow good.
light.
Lots of great features.
Cons.
Poorly built.
The things that stopped working were unbelievable.
Hot water packed up.
Door hook just broke in my hands.
Two Fly screens packed up.
one set of blinds stopped working.
The fridge stoppe working.

cagivachick1, Nov 9, 7:14am
most of those cons could happen to any caravan, you could have had a perfect run instead

tony9, Nov 9, 7:18am
We bought one, used it a lot for two years, then sold it and got a North American one.

The UK one was falling to pieces, floor separating (quite common), but quite light.

The North American one weighed a lot more, but seemed to be bullet proof.

twink19, Nov 9, 7:19am
bought one 2 years ago, 10 year old, great, never had any problems with it, sold it for $1500 more than I paid, just picked up my new 2015 Swift, great van

franc123, Nov 9, 7:32am
There's certainly a disproportionate amount of electrical problems, hot water failure seems to be standard. They look flash and comfortable but they are mass produced and disposable and too lightly made, the reason most of them are here is because they have been bought cheap in UK due to being damaged or are no longer insurable, they're scrap basically but for some reason the public here seem to be keen to pay big money for them, hence why the enterprising who know full well they aren't going to face a compliance process, only WOF, have pounced. The narrower body width compared to NZ or Aussie vans is also irritating according to owners I've known, unless of course you need to back it up a narrow driveway. They're a risky proposition IMO.

tony9, Nov 9, 8:07am
Actually this was one of the main reasons we went to a North American one. There was no way to configure a double bed so that you have access to both sides. When you get to a certain age this is very important.

cagivachick1, Nov 9, 8:22am
our old 1978 Trail lIte 18 ft tandem still going strong, perm double bed, (proper double ) pull out double at the front, single bed/couch, gas oven,gas hot water, tows great, what i dont like about the modern ones is they are to cluttered, we sometimes have 8 people sitting in ours try that with a pommy one

upnorth, Nov 9, 8:23am
The Top Gear team haven't proved them to be durable.

monaro17, Nov 9, 8:25am
Have a search in the thread box at the top left of the page. Lots of threads on this topic

xs1100, Nov 9, 8:40am
don't forget the $200 for a new towball

2get1, Nov 9, 9:47am
8 people in a late model UK one and it would probably snap in half

franc123, Nov 9, 10:26am
Yep, the lack of support under the floor is alarming, there is usually just two pieces of bored out galv U channel down each side, with the axle(s) and drawbar tying them together with a sheet of ply on top. Its the absolute minimum you could get away with. You do wonder if those that tow them frequently on rough roads haven't had structural issues.

survivalkiwi, Nov 9, 5:28pm
I paid about $20 for a 50mm tow ball.

tony9, Nov 9, 6:44pm
You don't have an e-type towing it, do you?

wembley1, Nov 9, 9:24pm
Purchased in NZ or imported yourself?

Post 2003 UK caravans should have gas appliances that are compatible with NZ's LPG composition and pressure. Prior to 2003, UK caravans had appliances that were set up for a different composition of LPG and at a higher pressure.

I've been told that the timber framing on UK caravans are not treated and tend to rot if they get a leak.

sharchew, Nov 11, 8:57pm
Wouldnt touch one friend had one so many problems was glad to get rid of it at a loss

kacy5, Nov 11, 9:31pm
Family member lived in one for over 2 years without a problem. Friend bought it to live in 2 years ago and she also loves it. She has had no problems either---1999 model.

cagivachick1, Nov 12, 6:16am
no a Austin Kimberly

captaink, Nov 12, 9:56am
I think the E type is still towing the 'hook,line and sinker', a Kimberley towing an 18' Trailite ? I thought it may be the 'bait' Seriously, haven't seen a Kimberley or Tasman in years, not my idea of a towcar

captaink, Nov 12, 10:53am
To the OP, what vintage are you looking at, depending on the age comments, good or bad will vary. Older units can have serious issues very late model ones are a bit different.

captaink, Nov 12, 10:55am
frnac123. it looks like ply, and I wish it was, but it's not it's a composite material not much better than layers of glued cardboard.

classact89, Nov 12, 11:14pm
Is it a hi rise ball to suit uk caravans.

kam04, Oct 23, 10:32am
I knew of a guy many years ago who towed an 18ft with a Morris 1300. Doors wouldn't close properly after a while, stretched the body being front wheel drive.