Best v8 engine to convert a v6 holden

simeon_, Oct 11, 4:09pm
i have a ute 1992. its fairly tidy . kms 340ish. was thinking of searching for a v8 engine/trans combo to suit . not worried about costs. what would go good in it. ls1 or the 304?

sifty, Oct 11, 5:45pm
Put a Ford in it.

whqqsh, Oct 11, 6:18pm
transplant, cert etc etc will cost more than selling yours & buying another ute, then a conversion may affect resale value, unless the ute is a keeper & has some for of attachment I wouldn't bother

chas10, Oct 11, 7:49pm
ls1 has more power but is a much more difficult conversion than 304. Agree with whqqsh, you would be better off to sell it and buy a factory V8 ute

patiki1, Oct 11, 8:05pm
Go for a ls series motor.Heaps of kits around now.They don't cost a lot to get the power level up unlike the holden motors.

tamarillo, Oct 11, 8:51pm
Overhaul and upgrade the v6, even supercharge it if you need. Then you keep it simple, keep lighter front end, and surprise.

brapbrap8, Oct 11, 10:13pm
+1
V8 Holdens drive rubbish compared to the V6 versions, even in the latest models the V8s are front heavy pigs compared to the V6.

extrayda, Oct 11, 10:43pm
Does anyone know exactly what the weight difference between the two motors is? If you end up adding a supercharger to the v6 would the difference in weight be that much in the end?
I guess you could fit one of the supercharged sixes from the Commodores if you wanted. Half of the fun of the V8 to me is the sound though.

simeon_, Oct 12, 12:17am
Spose i could jus overhaul it. lumpy cam extractors.and look at supercharger. I do like v8 sound thou. never forget the Windsor 289 that was in the brothers 69 fairlane

lusty9, Oct 12, 12:29am
obviously cost isn't a problem with the op

serf407, Oct 12, 2:16am
Toyota 2jz turbo if you want a smoke machine.
https://youtu.be/QfAWtR0-fj8

sifty, Oct 12, 4:48am
One of my favourite engines.

patiki1, Oct 12, 9:09am
If you want to come second

emmerson1, Feb 20, 8:25am
Because that extra '1' cc makes all the difference.