Galant 2.5 V6-24 5sp 2000

Page 1 / 2
phillip.weston, Jan 4, 11:38pm
Does the noise still happen if you push the clutch in! My old '89 Galant with super high kms had a noisy input shaft bearing in the gearbox and replaced it at approx 370,000kms with one from a lower kms car.

Perhaps try find some other 4x114.3 wheels to swap on and see if the noise still happens.

mrfxit, Jan 5, 2:57am
Hi Phillip.
Carsales put a near new pair of Le-mans std tyres on the front to replace the worn pair of directional's & the noise is definitely a lot less.
Guess we will have to put up with that level of bearable noise until the other 2 wear out or we get lucky & spot a different cheap pair.

Tyre shop suspects a combination of gone hard & a modest flat spot in the tread + being directional's

gammelvind, Jan 5, 3:41am
Hahaha a Honda is poofta and somehow a Mitsi isn't!

a.woodrow, Jan 5, 6:57am
Burnouts fix flat spots

mrfxit, Dec 20, 9:43pm
Do these have a cabin air filter
No mention of it being GDI
Carjam says it's an NZ new model

thejazzpianoma, Dec 20, 9:45pm
Value for money. that's a lot of km's for that sort of coin. I like that it has supposedly been well maintained but even so. For me it would have to be half that asking price to consider it, and even then I would be reluctant.
My 2C. (and sorry that probably wasn't the sort of response you were after)

doug207, Dec 20, 9:49pm
Overpriced, you could get a manual VR4 for that coin. Which is just as bad a car, except faster

mrfxit, Dec 20, 10:14pm
From what I have seen so far , most are .
Japanese market import
GDI
Auto's
Awd
No towbar
Turbos to blow
Yep lots of bell & whistles but lots to go wrong

This is
NZ new
5 sp manual
Non Gdi
Towbar
Alarmed (apparently)
Non turbo (more reliable)

Bonus of almost 1 year reg
New wof
Fully serviced

Yep km's getting up but it's a different generation engine to the 1 that chewed valve stem seals at about the same km's as this model.

Different engine which is partly why I am asking for opinions & facts.

mrfxit, Dec 20, 10:14pm
From what I have seen so far , most are .
Japanese market import
GDI
Auto's
Awd
No towbar
Turbos to blow
Yep lots of bell & whistles but lots to go wrong

This is
NZ new
5 sp manual
Non Gdi
Towbar
Alarmed (apparently)
Non turbo (more reliable)

Bonus of almost 1 year reg
New wof
Fully serviced

Yep km's getting up but it's a different generation engine to the 1 that chewed valve stem seals at about the same km's as this model.

Different engine which is partly why I am asking for opinions & facts.
It was the late 80's & up to mid 90's engines that smoked at those km's & the same era for failing computers.

I have heard that this gen didn't have those issues.

berg, Dec 20, 10:46pm
Quite a nice car, pity somebody has fitted a tacky gear knob but that's easily fixed. Front bottom ball joints and steering rack inner ends were about all I remember with these. Take a grand off the price and it would be a great buy

phillip.weston, Dec 20, 11:16pm
^^ what this guy said. Good car. I liked my 2000 NZ-new GLXi 2L sedan (which I sold for $4600 with 140km on the clock approx 2 years ago). I do think you could do better price wise. Keep an eye out for an NZ-new 2.5 V6-24 wagon - now that's the one to go for! Or look for a 2002+ V6 model they made the switch to 5-stud wheels and factory VR-4 bodykit.

mrfxit, Dec 20, 11:25pm
Thanks for that.
With this particular car & ignoring the price (which seems to be a medium ), anything specifically expensive that they are prone to failing on a regular or high km basis.

mrfxit, Dec 20, 11:28pm
Allowing model variations between what we have now (96 Atessa awd 2L auto) & this yr 2000 2.5 v6 manual, I suspect they would cost about the same for economy all round (driven the same way & roads etc of course)

doug207, Dec 20, 11:32pm
If you got one for $2-3k with reasonable km it'd be a nice car.
They do go through brakes fairly fast, but they're cheap to do (the brakes aren't too flash on them either, but more than adequate)
The V6 will cost you a heap to do a cambelt/water pump replacement at a garage as there's a fair bit of labour involved (not a hard job, just time consuming)
I've seen a few throw ABS faults, but they're usually sensor issues
They can throw airbag codes, like any Mitsi of that era, but that can range from a clock spring, seat sensor all the way to dry solder joints (no fun to fix.)
They do go well enough for what they are. I'd personally be looking at other similar cars, a decent BMW 325i manual will set you back similar money, and in my experience are a far better car in every way and better on gas.
If you buy carefully, it'll be a fairly nice car. They go a hell of a lot better than the 2.0 models

mrfxit, Dec 21, 12:16am
Yep Doug, did the belts on the 92 v6 2L I had & this Galant looks to be easier with a lot more room to work in.
Wifes just had the car over here & picked up on a few minor issues like oil leaks & 2 tyres with both shoulders worn, but the dealer is going to sort that today & include the fresh full service & an engine tune.
Drives well but a bit gutless in 5th at 80km considering the size & spec of the engine.
A good tune should sort that out.
Down to $3500 total (7 day right of rejection/ 90 days warranty)

gman35, Dec 21, 1:02am
Always thought these were the best looking jap sedan at the time.(and much better than most of Mitsi's efforts at the moment). Look at the just-released new Outlander , puke.

phillip.weston, Dec 21, 1:06am
The SOHC 6A13 is an easy engine to do a cam belt on, even easier than the earlier orientation SOHC 6A12 due to different placement of the power steering pump. It takes no longer than a 4cyl and you actually have more room because the V6 engine is shorter and has more clearance between the strut tower.

phillip.weston, Dec 21, 1:11am
I should also mention 16 months ago I sold a '97 NZ-new Galant VR 2.5 V6 5spd sedan done 260,000kms on $1res and it reached just over $2000. It did have cloth interior though and some small isolated patches of clear coat peel. Pics of it here - http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/te71se/97GalantVR/

phillip.weston, Dec 21, 1:11am
I should also mention 16 months ago I sold a '97 NZ-new Galant VR 2.5 V6 5spd sedan done 260,000kms on $1res and it reached just over $2000. It did have cloth interior though and some small isolated patches of clear coat peel. Pics of it here - http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/te71se/97GalantVR/

mrfxit, Dec 21, 2:39am
Bearing in mine the small spec differences/ then & now sale prices/ economic effec/import restrictionst & all that guff, pretty comparable

vtecintegra, Dec 21, 5:26am
The SOHC V6 is pretty thirsty and not at all powerful. The leather is also of terrible quality, IMO cloth is way more desirable on those (same goes for NZ Hondas before 2003ish)

200sx, Dec 21, 7:42am
Pricing is too high for the mileage - at that price point it should be at least 100000km less going by current market value. But shop around, there are plenty out there. Pretty bulletproof if looked after though, and you continue to service it correctly etc.

carmad50, Dec 21, 9:36am
piece of shiteu can buy much much better than that at 4 k

n1smo_gtir, Dec 21, 9:51am
example!

mrfxit, Dec 22, 7:54pm
Ok ok, so "she's" gone & brought it anyway.
Now to sort out the bugs within the 7 days right of return.

Tyres, Hankook "Ventus H R II (HR2) 205/50/16

Theres a mystery rumble that increases with speed but it's not a solid howl that you would expect from hard or simply noisy tyres
It's got that woof woof howl like a wheel bearing, but I have jacked it up today & the bearings all feel fine with no noises.

Direct off the yard, the tyres had 24psi back (Had been swapped from the front) & 27psi front (swapped from back ) by the yard
Pumped them up to 35psi front/ 30psi back & it's not made any difference in noise, (but feels a whole lot better)

Could the noise be just the tyres or something a bit more sinister like gearbox drive shaft bearings etc.